Welcome to my blog. Here, you may read all of my reviews. That will take a good deal of time, as I have penned quite a large number of them. I advise you to start now. And don't forget, constantly offer me praise concerning how great I am at doing what I do!
Title: Overdrive and the Summer of RPGs Posted: May 30, 2007 (10:28 AM)
So, during the summer, it looks like I'll be on a pure PS2 RPG binge (note to self: go through computer's ROM folders to find shooters and quickee action games in order to be a somewhat consistent contributer review-wise). On the docket are:
1. Tales of Legendia (currently in Chapter Four).
2. Star Ocean: TtEoT (currently at the Sphere Corp. building...just whomped Azazel or whatever the smarmy douche's name is).
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (currently getting ready to do the one sewer level with the four Oni bosses).
4. Atelier Isis 3 or whatever its name actually is....that new one (getting as a freebie....to soon be my one and only top project).
5. Final Fantasy XII (borrowing from my best friend, likely tomorrow).
6. On top of that, I've been sporadically replaying Dragon Quest VIII just to really get into it, as I'd been speed-rushing/ignoring certain aspects (alchemy pot, casinos, killing all the monsters to have a complete bestiary, that whole post-game bonus dungeon, etc). In ROMs, I have a couple Lufia games and Destiny of an Emperor II that I'm working on. And I have a few other projects to finish off in the non-RPG category. And, I know I'm forgetting something.....
User: carcinogen_crush Title: Posted: May 30, 2007 (11:55 PM)
Tales of Legendia is the one with odd graphics, isn't it? The crappy looking, chibi 3D type?
Only tales game I've ever played is Phantasia; this be a good one to try next, ya think?
I was dying to play Tales of Destiny II when it came out, and never got the chance to buy it. Damn, last time I checked, it was going for something like $80.
User: overdrive Title: Posted: June 02, 2007 (10:47 PM)
Yeah, ToL does have that graphical style. As to if it's what you want to play next, it depends on what you look for in RPGs (I'm finding them the toughest genre to write reviews for, because of how each one/series has its own take on the formula, so the adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is the best way of advocating/denigrating them. Here's what ToL gives you....
1. Great characterization/dialogue IF you like the combination of slapstick comedy with some heartfelt drama involved. To be a bit more in-depth, you have a bunch of heroes that bicker hilariously with each other and often act like grade school kids....but also show depth during those moments their true feelings come forth. That's the game's biggest strength.
2. Simple linear dungeons only broken up by block-puzzle rooms (that are optional, since if you don't want to do them, other characters can auto-do them for you).
3. The same sort of fighting as ToP including the 2-D appearance, with a few improvements (mainly that melee characters gain new abilities, not just by leveling up, but by mastering...ie: using 50 times...old abilities).
Long story short, this game doesn't break any new ground and the gameplay definitely isn't anything special, but I'm finding it entertaining as hell. I've always been an RPG buff and this game gives me adequate RPG gameplay along with exceptional characterization that consistently entertains me. I'd definitely recommend it.
User: psychopenguin Title: Posted: June 04, 2007 (04:08 PM)
Tales of Legendia was a real letdown for me. But it's unique in that the gameplay sucks ass and the storyline is good. That's the only Tales game where I can say that.
Tales of the Abyss was a big improvement, have you played that?
Tales of Eternia is on my top 3 or 4 video games of all time.
User: overdrive Title: Posted: June 05, 2007 (06:21 AM)
Haven't played Abyss yet, but I definitely have that on my list as something to pick up after I've whittled away at my current project list a bit. I've heard mainly good things about it, so I'm looking forward to playing it.
Opinions expressed in this blog represent the opinions of those expressing them and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of site staff, users and/or sponsors. Unless otherwise stated, content above belongs to its copyright holders and may not be reproduced without express written permission.