So, for the Emp and Boo Hatred tournament, they gave me a Doom wad to play. The main effect that's had on my life is that is reawoke that sporadic off-n-on Doom addiction I have. So, I've been working through Icarus (done by Team TnT, who did 1/2 of Final Doom; the Evilution half) and Memento Mori (an "all-star" collection of designers coming together to make one of the all-time greats in the eyes of many).
And, luckily for you, I'll be updating you on my gameplay until I eventually lose interest in Doom games again! So, with three levels of each done, here you go:
1. Shuttlecraft — might be as good as a L1 as you'll get in a Doom megawad. Nothing but imps, former humans and shotgunners, but they are used very effectively with lots of teleportation on the bridge, as well as a very diabolical imp-strewn chapel. 9/10
2. Shuttle Bay — kind of an ugly level in appearance, with virtually all of it being the same silver texture, but it's a fun one to go through. A lot of the rooms are designed in a way where enemies can easy catch you offguard if you don't have eyes in the back of your head (and sides, too), it's pretty large for an early-game level and has good progression with virtually every new area you enter having a quick shortcut back to parts you've already been, so you don't have to backtrack that much. 8/10
3. Quarry — kind of a clunker here. This is a very short level that's pretty claustrophobic and dark. Not many enemies, but for some reason, I tend to struggle a bit with this one. Probably because I'm trying so hard just to get through it quickly, I'm not focusing on those imps that just got released when I hit that switch or something like that. 3/10
1. The Teleporter — solid opening level that makes you work a bit. Starting you off staring at the backs of a bunch of shotgunners is a nice touch and the game makes sure that everything you do triggers more enemies. Very compact, but full of action. 7/10
2. The Bridge — some wide open outdoor areas connected by more cramped indoor areas. A decent trap or so indoors, but the outdoors areas are kinda empty, although they look very nice. 6/10
3. Interlock — very small level that's pretty easy to get through. Not much to speak about here. Looks pretty good, but is forgetable. 4/10
|Most recent blog posts from Rob Hamilton...|
|bluberry - August 01, 2008 (11:17 PM)
you pussy. if you play M01 of Icarus on ultra-violence there are also chaingunners and shit. and I agree, it's the best M01 I've ever played. I agree about M03, it's shitty, but I didn't like M02 much either. same problem as a lot of Icarus stuff for me, the nauseatingly bad graphical designs. a whole bloody map made of the same grey texture!
it does have its moments though, that fortress map (I forget what number, but I think it was called Fortress of Evil) was very well constructed.