Missing an upgrade? Let's figure out what it is and where to find it. Refer to the stage walkthrough pages for more details on finding each upgrade. If you have the head parts, you can tell from the stage select screen which stages have upgrades or items you haven't yet collected.
Heart Tanks increase the capacity of your health meter. There's one Heart Tank hidden in each of the Maverick stages, for a total of eight. Once you have six, your health meter will be about the same size as the weapon meter, so all eight will make it a bit larger than that.
There are four Sub Tanks to be found. When you collect a health pickup when your health meter is full, it's stored in a Sub Tank for later use. These are very handy as they effectively quintuple your maximum health. Here's where to find them:
- Blizzard Buffalo Stage - Requires leg parts (found in the same stage)
- Tunnel Rhino Stage
- Neon Tiger Stage
- Volt Catfish - Requires Ride Armor
You can summon Ride Armors from the strange platforms you'll find in most stages. You'll need the Chimera Ride Armor before you can use any of the others.
X Upgrade Capsules
- Chimera - Blast Hornet Stage. Requires Tornado Fang.
- Frog - Gravity Beetle Stage. Requires leg parts.
- Hawk - Crush Crawfish Stage. Requires arm parts and Triad Thunder.
- Kangaroo - Toxic Seahorse Stage. Requires leg parts and either Frog Ride Armor or both the Ice Shield and arm parts.
These (mostly) super useful upgrades will give X new permanent skills and attributes. Definitely collect all of these, even if you don't want to bother with the Heart Tanks or Sub Tanks.
- Leg Parts – Blizard Buffalo Stage.
- Body Parts – Volt Catfish Stage. Requires arm parts and Gravity Wel.
- Head Parts – Tunnel Rhino Stage. Requires arm parts and Triad Thunder.
- Arm Parts – Neon Tiger Stage. Requires Tornado Fang and leg parts.
- Beam Saber – Doppler Stage 2. Requires Vile to be destroyed and Zero to be alive. (This isn't really a capsule but it's basically a second set of arm parts.)
On top of the standard parts, X can install one of five different enhancement chips that will further increase his abilities.
- Leg Chip - Toxic Seahorse Stage. Requires leg parts. Allows X to air dash twice in one jump.
- Body Chip - Crush Crawfish Stage. Requires Ride Armor. Further decreases damage done to X, increases duration of forcefield.
- Head Chip - Blast Hornet Stage. Leg parts required. Allows X to regenerate his health and fill his sub tanks.
- Arm Chip - Gravity Beetle Stage. Requires Ride Armor. Allows X to fire continuous charged shots.
- Gold Chip - Doppler Stage 1. Requires everything and full health. Grants X to abilities of all of the other chips.