Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Lewis's Resident Evil review

This thread is in response to a review for Resident Evil on the GameCube. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 25, 2009 (02:14 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I could make similar complaints about Jason Venter's Winning Eleven 2007 review (complaining that you can't slide tackle everyone is clear evidence of a lack of understanding of the genre, in my view).

A fair point. :-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: January 25, 2009 (04:43 PM)

Yeah, it was David Jaffe. Just forgot his name ATM.

If Road & Track started rating down sports cars that don't have enough towing power, people would cry 'fowl' and they would be right to do so. It's the same sort of thing here. Rate a game down because it's a bad game, not because it's a good game within its respective genre and you just don't like that genre.

It's a Twisted Metal spinoff that's supposedly 20 minutes long and has no replay value. He said (in a temper tantrum) since he was only trying to create a 20-minute downloadable game it should be rated highly for succeeding in what he wanted it to do. The article on SB that no longer exists argued that with that logic the burger king games should be awarded 10/10 since they're only $5 and 20 minutes long.

Lewis: here it is

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: January 25, 2009 (05:27 PM)

Posting in legendary topic.

_

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: January 26, 2009 (12:20 AM)

"If Road & Track started rating down sports cars that don't have enough towing power, people would cry 'fowl' and they would be right to do so. It's the same sort of thing here. Rate a game down because it's a bad game, not because it's a good game within its respective genre and you just don't like that genre."

Is that aimed at me? If so, I really can't be bothered to address this argument yet again. Have a read back through the thread, and notice that I've contended it at least three times already.

If not, then I'll get off my high horse. :)

Anyway, that Calling All Cars review is pretty woeful to be honest. If Jaffe had a problem with it, it probably should have been that there's absolutely no critical appraisal of the game beyond "yeah, what's here is quite good" in a short paragraph towards the end. The rest looks like it's been ripped straight from a press release. If I were Greg Mueller's editor, I'd have rejected that copy immediately. It's completely vacuous, and entirely comparable to that Rhodan review I linked to earlier.

But, from what people are saying, it sounds as if his complaints were more about the score than the review. And that's just pathetic. You'd have thought people who were actually working within the industry would have enough sense to know that scores are completely arbitrary in terms of how you engage with a game, and instead have to function pretty much entirely as a buyer's guide. And, to be honest, if I were presented with a really good game that was still completely awful value for money, then I'd have probably settled for a similar rating.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: January 26, 2009 (07:14 PM)

He was pissed because he felt the game shouldn't be judged in the same way as every other game on the planet and should be treated lighter because it was not intended to be a great game. In other words, it should be rated based on what it was supposed to be (which in this case is a mediocre arcade game), which is absurd I don't have the blog post and don't feel like searching for it but in the process he threw a hissy fit and started crying like a baby.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: January 27, 2009 (12:20 AM)

I can't find the original post, but I've just read a response to the uproar about it by Jaffe, in which he says he doesn't have a problem with the review score or tone - he mentiones a few reviews that criticised it even more heavily that he even agrees with in parts. Instead, he says, he has a problem with how much the Gamespot writer managed to miss the mark in terms of actually analysing how the game works. Which, y'know, is kind of what I said. It's like a big press release, followed by "and it's really good, but far too short."

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.