Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Castlevania: Judgment review

This thread is in response to a review for Castlevania: Judgment on the Wii. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 15, 2009 (12:42 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I could tell there was more you wanted to say with your review, but you forced yourself to keep it short, which really worked well for you as you got out all the salient points without any fuss.

I could also tell that you were somewhat emotional about this title (as any Castlevania fan would be) and that lent it a lot of credibility, as it was a fan telling us the game sucked, and for good reason.

I actually think this was one of your stronger reviews, Jason. It stayed focused, it made powerful points, and it was all backed up by good emotion. More than anything, this review got me interested to read more about the game instead of going to sleep like I should be.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 15, 2009 (01:25 AM)

Thanks for the feedback, zipp. I was hoping to hear how at least one person would feel about the review, since I hadn't written one in awhile and that can make a person get rusty. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 15, 2009 (09:04 AM)

Twas a good review. Gotta say that when I heard this game was in the works, I wasn't looking forward to it just because I figured it'd wind up a pedestrian fighting game....BUT with Castlevania characters. Looks like I was right from what you said.

It just seems like Konami's spinning their wheels with the Castlevania franchise right now.......constantly regurgitating the "Metroid-vania" theme on a regular basis and now expanding into the fighting genre. While some of those games, like Aria of Sorrow, are good.....they really don't delve into new grounds or do anything that Symphony of the Night didn't do better.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: January 15, 2009 (05:58 PM)

A very likeable read and the main points are well made. There were a handful of 'huh?' lines, but they never crippled proceedings.

EGs

- 'Grant, a haggard warrior with scraggly hair and ragged clothes that look to have been torn to shreds by the ragged winds'

Ya got two 'ragged's in this line, plus every other word sounds like 'ragged' ;)

In this next bit:

'Even with the complete change in genre, this feels like a Castlevania game... and yet it doesn't.

The premise feels like something straight out of a bad horror novel, so that's not the issue.'

... What is not the issue? I did not understand.

There was nothing technically wrong with the 'hickeys' line, I just found it weird :)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 15, 2009 (09:53 PM)

Thanks for the nits, bloomer. I've addressed them. Except for the hickeys line, of course. That one stays for the precise reason you mentioned. ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.