Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Kung Fu Panda review

This thread is in response to a review for Kung Fu Panda on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 14, 2009 (12:54 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a good review. I consider Kung Fu Panda a prime example of a licensed game done right. There were so many games of this caliber on the NES and we took them for granted. Now something like Kung Fu Panda comes along and too many older gamers avoid it. Not because it has nothing to offer, but because they're afraid it'll be another stinker like we've come to expect from licensed games. It's good to see you giving the game a fair shot, even though (as you noted) it's only because it came with your system.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 14, 2009 (03:08 PM)

Seconded. It would be hard for me to write a review on a licensed title for the very reasons HG has mentioned. Especially out of these kid's movies, we've come to see simply AWFUL games. But you take the whole thing seriously, even with a certain sense of dignity.

It could have used a little more pizzaz, though. Obviously the game didn't excite you, because the review is fairly straightforward, with little emotion.

But now I'm really reaching for things to criticize. A good review, all around.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 15, 2009 (09:11 AM)

I wasn't really worried about the game's quality. As I recall, there've been a number of decent to good licensed games based on Disney animated films. I've read plenty of reviews for older games like Lion King and Aladdin that graded them as solid to very good. At the very least, Disney-licenses tend to rate far better than the average Total Recall or Ghostbusters game.

I'd say the reason I didn't sound particularly excited about the game was mainly just because it was exactly what I expected it to be -- an appealing, but very easy and simple game that I'm really not the target audience for. I never found myself bored or annoyed by the game, but it was a very rare occasion when it did anything that lifted me out of journalistic detachment, which made this more of a detached, "professional" review than one where I was carried by my excitement over one thing or another. Probably why it took me so long to finish the thing (sat on my computer for about 3-4 days incomplete before I finished it off).

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.