Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's LittleBigPlanet review

This thread is in response to a review for LittleBigPlanet on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: December 30, 2008 (12:52 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review.

"Like a child in a toy shop, the game never stops thrusting things in front of you for you to look at."

This doesn't quite make sense due to the order, I think. As is, it implies the child is doing the thrusting, and not the toy shop. Unless you mean the child thrusting toys in front of a parent. That's a bit of a reach as phrased currently.

Maybe avoid using thrusting and child in the same sentence altogether.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 30, 2008 (02:47 PM)

That is a very good review. Especially as you really got into it. I could really feel the excitement there while you were talking about the community this game has and all the fan-made levels you can play and the variety there.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 30, 2008 (03:01 PM)

Thanks! I'm really trying to move away from the English Major dry reviews that I did for a while and into a more emotionally "here's the feeling I get from this game" kind of thing.

Glad that came through this time.

LOL at child and thrusting. You got it right the second time though, I was thinking of a child thrusting toys in front of a parent.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: December 30, 2008 (03:04 PM)

Lovely-lovely review which manages to convince me I enjoyed LBP more than I actually did.

That said I've only played it for an hour or two, and not even bothered with the level editor yet.

One thing that's got me a bit arsey is that people are heralding it for its "innovation" that allows people to create their own content. So, um, just like every game Valve has ever released, then? I suppose this is more user-friendly though, and taylored towards the community adding to the game. Is this what Spore was trying to do, perhaps?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: December 30, 2008 (03:12 PM)

You got it. As I said in the review, even the good level editors tend to be difficult enough to master that the truly good material is limited to the developers. Half Life is a great example of this (though I remained impressed by what you've created with Neptune).

The problem with Spore (and I just had this discussion with a friend), is that Will Wright likes to give people building blocks, much like giving someone a box of legos. But these building blocks are limited, not only in what they can do, but in what setting they are placed. Spore's creature creator is very cool, but it's creating content.

LBP doesn't have you create content. It has you create a whole game. If we stick to the lego analogy, then LBJ provides you with the molding material to make your own legos, rather than a pre-configured set.

It's impressive.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: December 30, 2008 (03:24 PM)

"though I remained impressed by what you've created with Neptune"

I've worked with that engine for about a year, though, and had worked with the Quake Engine (on which, bizarrely, Source is heavily based) for five years before that. It's one of the more user-friendly SDKs, but it is distinctly an SDK, not a user-tool integrated as part of a game.

I almost feel a little bitter about LBP - currently battling out the Resolution GOTY feature, and LBP is keeping Fallout 3 in a dismal third place. I guess that says something wonderful about the quality of this year's games, though.

board icon
Posted: December 30, 2008 (09:36 PM)

Fallout for me was a 9/10. But then consider that I gave Morrowind a 5 or 6 out of 10. That style of game just doesn't hit me as hard as it does most.

Or rather, it hits me FRICKING hard... but then I recover rather quickly.

board icon
Posted: December 31, 2008 (02:13 AM)

Wow, what would you give Oblivion? Minus six out of ten?

board icon
Posted: December 31, 2008 (12:20 PM)

Ha ha ha, to be honest, I didn't play enough of Oblivion to ever review it. I played two hours, in which I escaped the first dungeon, very quickly got diseased, and spent the second hour looking for someone to cure (never found them).

One of the reasons I haven't written a Morrowind or Oblivion review is that I'm not yet sure WHY I didn't like them. And I refuse to write a review on a game until I understand my feelings on the matter.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than TrilySummer requested its removal.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 18, 2009 (10:44 AM)

Unless it's Vampirism you caught, you cure almost anything by GOING TO SLEEP. Hell, you can cure vampirism in that fashion if you're quick enough.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 18, 2009 (11:07 AM)

Are you talking about Oblivion or Morrowind? In Morrowind, diseases are only urable by taking the appropriate cure potion or going to a shrine. Unless it's Corpus, in which case there's a whole quest for that.

There's Vampirism in Morrowind, too, but I've never contracted it. I did contract the werewolf one in the Bloodmoon expansion, though, and that was curable just with a regular potion or shrine visit, so I imagine vampirism would be the same in that game.

You must be talking about Oblivion, then. Seems kind of silly to me - just sleeping them off. Haha.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.