Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Shining in the Darkness review

This thread is in response to a review for Shining in the Darkness on the Genesis. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 25, 2008 (02:57 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hm, sorry WQ, but I'm not getting into this review. It lacks the emotion of your better reviews, and reads more like an instruction manual relating the "things you'll see inside the deadly labyrinth."

You do a good job explaining what happens in the game, but you fail to really point out whether or not it's interesting or worth anyone's time. I can only assume you liked it, because you gave it an 8, but that like doesn't come across very clearly.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 26, 2008 (09:23 AM)

Huh... I actually liked this one more than the other one. =/ I'll admit I put no effort into proofing either of these, but that's only because I was writing under a time limit. I was up till midnight or later writing this one, so maybe that affected its outcome somewhat.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, either; I thought the emotion would've been conveyed in the way Ipresented it. Though I know I didn't use personal examples in this one like I usually do, so maybe that helped. Maybe I'll look over it later and revise it or something. I didn't talk about everything I wanted anyway.

Honestly, though, as long as EmP likes it, I'll be happy enough, I guess. Though if what you're saying about it is true (and it probably is - I was really tired the other night), I may not have achieved even that. Or at least not to the degree I wanted.

That you were the one to make this topic and not he despite the fact that I reviewed this for him further emphasizes this possibility.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: December 26, 2008 (01:58 PM)

I have no constructive comment on the review, but I did feel obliged to point out you just played and reviewed my all time favorite dungeon crawler, and the first RPG I've put more than a little time into. 17 years of nostalgia just came flooding back as a sort of final Christmas gift. Thank you.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 26, 2008 (02:48 PM)

I think it's a solid review for what you tried to cover. I love SitD like the child I'll never have, but it's such a straight-forward game that there's not enough material to weave a fantastic review from.

That said, I thought this was a very solid review. You explain what you think works, back your points up cleverly and give a good picture of the game. What else do you need from a review?

Good job, and thanks for writing it for me!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 26, 2008 (10:41 PM)

Well, I've been well and truly bulloxed by EMP ^_^

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 27, 2008 (09:07 PM)

Hm... Well, thanks. Though I was hoping this review would turn out awesome. I mean, yours did somehow. Oh, well, though; I guess that's what I get for writing it late at night without any proofing.

You're welcome in any case. Sash, too.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.