Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's Chrono Trigger review

This thread is in response to a review for Chrono Trigger on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 17, 2008 (09:12 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I think this review did a good job of reminding me why I'm always annoyed by companies re-making their old classics over and over again. It just seems that it's so rare when the game is really anything more than a nostaglia trip for retro gamers who might not have played it when it first came out or people who played it, loved it and want to have a "new" copy of it.

Essentially the exact same game, but with a couple of extra quests that don't seem to add much to the experience. I can see why you'd give it a 9, as CT is one of my personal favorite 16-bit RPGs and I can see me playing the original version again (for the 4th or so time) in 2009 or 2010 (whenever I have time). But I just can't personally get excited about a system coming out with ANOTHER remake of ANOTHER game I've seen before. With remakes, the DS is becoming the new GBA.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: December 17, 2008 (11:26 AM)

For PAL regions, at least, it'll be the game's first official release. We've had to live on roms or rare imports.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 17, 2008 (11:37 AM)

I agree, Overdrive. You can probably pick up on a bit of my annoyance in the review, once I reach the "new features" section. At the same time, I appreciate the gesture, and I do think it would be cool if it actually reaches a new generation.

What's really exciting about all this is that now there's finally the possibility of a decent sequel.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: December 18, 2008 (05:17 PM)

Good review. I'd just like to comment on OD's opinion that the DS is becoming a remake factory.

For SE, this is the 2nd remake of a game for DS that came out in America before I can think of (along with FF4, which was a great remake. Felt like a new game). Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy III never came out in America before.

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.