Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Parasite Eve review

This thread is in response to a review for Parasite Eve on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 16, 2008 (10:11 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I get what you mean about the pacing, but I don't think your description of the game is really accurate. The dialouge scenes happen about twice a chapter... once at the beginning, and once at the end. The rest is all exploration and battle. I won't argue with your score, since from your point of view it is definitely justified, and because (outside of the tedium) everything you've said COULD be accurate... but if you tilt your head a bit, it's possible to see this game in a whole other light.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: December 18, 2008 (05:11 PM)

Yeah, I don't really get this review. The game wasn't that poorly paced, and it's a RPG. There's the typical amount of RPG storyline but I wouldn't call it excessive. It relies on several cinematic scenes (the game is called THE CINEMATIC RPG! on the box) but I don't think it was story-driven at all, especially compared to a lot of RPGs on the console. And there's a lot of gameplay to be had.

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: December 24, 2008 (12:47 PM)

Atmosphere and story were the things that would/could -- and to an extent did -- make Parasite Eve notable. By my mind, those are the most important parts of this specific game to look at... and ultimately, aside from some occasional stylishness, it fails. That being said, this review is kind of old (before dates were logged!) so if I wrote it today, I'd probably do a better job of getting that point across.

The gameplay itself was poorly paced. Mainly the character's walking speed and animations were too slow, which made the exploration aspect tedious tedious tedious. The Chrysler Building was a nightmare to complete, but... I felt it was my duty to finish (especially after discovering that the experience meter looped, which allowed me to rocket Aya to insanely high levels of power. Poor design by Square, although I don't think I mentioned that in the review)

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 24, 2008 (02:04 PM)

Ah, that DOES explain it a lot better. You are right, getting from one area to the next takes a long time.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 24, 2008 (03:22 PM)

I'm trying to remember exactly when I gave up on the Chrysler Building and never played this game again. I'm thinking it was one of the boss fights. Was one of them a two-part insect where you had to get it to split up and had to kill one of the two parts and if it joined back together, your progress was wasted and you had to start over? Because it seems like it was something like that which finally broke my will to try playing this game any more.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: December 24, 2008 (07:43 PM)

I don't remember that one, because my Aya was crazily overpowered by then and didn't fall prey to its devious tricks, but I have heard that there is such a boss.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.