Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > beverage's Alone in the Dark review

This thread is in response to a review for Alone in the Dark on the Wii. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: December 12, 2008 (12:35 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is one of the most entertaining reviews I've read in here in ages. Seriously.

"the pathetic syntax error that is Alone in the Dark" - that line really cracked me up.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: December 12, 2008 (12:41 AM)

"While you may see all of this as hyperbole"

Hyperbole? In this review? :P

You've got the extended pole vaulting analogy, a single swear word from each of the major camps, the 'foreshadowing of this bitter end that Alone in the Dark so openly and blatantly gave to me.', etc. I also don't think the majority of the populace will agree that the mention of a secret cult in a game is such a terrible cliche that it's cause for moratorium-ing it in the first few minutes. Whereas being pissed off by the crumbling building definitely could be that cause (and has been for folks, I think.). So yeah, I wish you'd stayed on mission making good points rather than going with all this indulgently worded anger.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: December 12, 2008 (06:47 AM)

I liked the indulgently worded anger. Gave the review a real character.

The only issue for me is that some of the sentences are overly long and awkwardly. And that it's clearly not a 1/10 review, but that's a different matter entirely.

board icon
Author: beverage
Posted: December 12, 2008 (11:31 AM)

Lewis - I appreciate that and am glad you enjoyed the review.

Bloomer - '"While you may see all of this as hyperbole"

Hyperbole? In this review? :P'

Believe it or not, I have an issue with overuse of metaphor and hyperbole. I'm sure this comes as shocking to you. =)

'I also don't think the majority of the populace will agree that the mention of a secret cult in a game is such a terrible cliche that it's cause for moratorium-ing it in the first few minutes.'

This I find surprising. Perhaps it was a bit wrong of me to call the "secret mystical cult" plot bit a cliche, but to tell you honestly, it's a bit of a theme (if you must) that I am growing tired of. I feel that the whole idea of the "secret cult" has been so greatly overplayed in games, movies, and books that so much as mentioning this sort of element should cause a bit of distaste. Well, at least it does to me anyway. I expect games to be creative. I can look over poor graphics and design if the game is truly creative, but looking back it seems that I may have been wrong in my assumption that there were more folks out there that felt the way I do.

'So yeah, I wish you'd stayed on mission making good points rather than going with all this indulgently worded anger.'

I appreciate the feedback, and with future titles I'll try to keep this in mind.

-

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 12, 2008 (09:53 PM)

From me, you get to join the "I hated Alone in the Dark for the Wii" club.

High five, man. Give my review a read sometime. I didn't make it as far as you.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.