Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Lewis's A Vampyre Story review

This thread is in response to a review for A Vampyre Story on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 11, 2008 (01:04 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is a good review, Lewis. You leave me both wanting to play it to see what you're talking about and wanting to avoid it because it seems too tedious and boring. And despite your efforts to reassure me that the game really is brilliant in places and might be worth a go if I had the patience for it, I still feel mostly negative-to-neutral about it. I guess it's just one of those things that you have to experience to get at the real meaning of what you're talking about. Though I will admit to feeling pretty positive about the game after reading the articles and hearing EmP's enthusiasm for it.

I think he really wanted to play this, too...

Anyway, do they really swear in French? Haha. That's hilarious. If so, is it anything "serious" like "fuck" or "shit"? or just the milder ones? I don't know why that amuses me.

Oh, and if you want a good example of brilliant episodic releases, you should play Sam & Max. I've only played one so far (it's all I had time for really), but it was freaking hilarious. EmP's played them all, though, and I don't think he rated a single one below 8. (Read his reviews! =D)

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: December 11, 2008 (03:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I enjoyed the recent Sam & Max iterations but they weren't a patch on the originals. Maybe my standards are too high. I can't think of a comedy adventure game I've truly loved since Grim Fandango. Except maybe Broken Sword 3 (ouch at the five-year-old Resolution-mark-one review), but that was fucking horrible to control, sapping much of the fun. Too many crates too.

Regarding the swearing, there's nothing too heavy. It's odd. There are frequent "what the heck?"-s, but the game basically says "bitch" once ("Controlled by a witch, then controlled by a bit-" "AHEM!"), and McFrenchy shouts "Merde!" on two or three occasions.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.