Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > drella's Hatris (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Hatris on the TurboGrafx-16. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 27, 2008 (07:41 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

So you actually did it and got it up! Nice. Funny as shit review, as usual.

Typo: "There are squat blue Devo hats are green derbies..." I think "are" should read "and".

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: November 27, 2008 (08:30 AM)

Corrected. Thanks.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 09, 2009 (08:11 AM)

I really enjoyed this review, too, because I'd heard how bad Hatris was. Apparently even the worker power-ups on the NES are nearly useless!

The only inaccuracy I found is that Pajitnov wrote Welltris(1989) before Hatris(1990), 3 years after Tetris(1986.) Welltris was pretty lame, too, incidentally.

But his weakest effort is Knight Move. If you hated Hatris, you'll loathe Knight Move. Unfortunately, it's not even good enough to write a fun bash review about. He's written some better games since then, but it's interesting how he went into a slump for a while after Tetris.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: July 09, 2009 (01:43 PM)

Yeah, the timeline is a bit off, if only to show what a delirious idea this game was (Pajitnov's fame is the only reason I could see it being made). There was also the listless Wordtris (1991) in his spell of bad games.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 09, 2009 (04:19 PM)

Yeah...for a strong intro like that, it's probably better not to bore people with too much timeline. Too many details and stuff.

Wordtris...oh, the flashbacks. And I only played it for 1/2 hour.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 10, 2009 (10:19 PM)

Enjoyed the review. Fun read. However, I don't like the arguement that you can't "win" in Hatris.

The same is technically true of Tetris. Sooner or later, you're going to lose.

Unless you play the licensed NES version, which has different graphics featuring all of Nintendo's protagonists if you score high enough.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: July 11, 2009 (08:37 AM)

"Before you know it, you've already lost. You simply don't have a legitimate shot -- short of pure luck -- at lasting extended periods of time like this. Even during the worst of times in Tetris, you still felt like you might be able to pull out a miracle and restore order. In Hatris, you never had a chance to begin with, but were merely trying to prolong the game."

and

"Tetris was over painfully but quickly; this kind of defeat is akin to slowly peeling back the bandage. You're literally forced to watch one tiny error extrapolate in a long, drawn out series of steps that culminates with "game over" printed across the screen."

It's not that you can't win. It's that you're not even succeeding, but merely treading water ninety percent of the time. It's not that you lose, but it's that you know you lost and it still takes ten minutes for the error to play itself out.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 11, 2009 (01:32 PM)

Okay, this is what I get for reading reviews while half asleep.

I think I get it now. Your beef is that if you make one mistake in Hatris, then you are more or less screwed, and are forced to watch this mistake slowly snowball.

Well, Tetris is like that to a certain extent, but I suppose there are creative ways of rectifying mistakes in Tetris.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.