Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > dagoss's Mega Man 9 (PSN) review

This thread is in response to a review for Mega Man 9 on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 26, 2008 (03:52 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Your review does a good job of posing a serious question: would I still like this game if it were the first I had played in the series. My honest answer is "most likely."

I didn't fall in love with the Mega Man series because it was the hip thing to do. In fact, I didn't expect to like it and only ever played it when my grandmother bought me Mega Man 2 for Christmas one year (considerably ahead of Sonic the Hedgehog's rise to popularity, as I recall). Then I played it and loved every second of it in spite of my instincts. That was true for one simple reason: the gameplay in Mega Man games is good. Really good.

While I enjoy some of the other stuff you mentioned and consider it just as good in different ways, I don't agree with the apparent insinuation that games have 'evolved' to a point where Mega Man-style gameplay isn't fun. It was fun back in the day, it's fun now and it will be in the future.

Just my two cents. Even though I disagree with your apparent conclusion, I liked the review and feel that it makes for a thoughtful and unusual critique of Mega Man 9. You made me think. Good job!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: November 26, 2008 (05:31 PM)

I don't agree with the apparent insinuation that games have 'evolved' to a point where Mega Man-style gameplay isn't fun. It was fun back in the day, it's fun now and it will be in the future.

I agree with that. I wasn't implying "fun;" maybe enjoyment is a better word. There are a lot of great games that aren't very fun, but are enjoyable nonetheless. I wouldn't use "fun" to describe Planescape, Shadow of the Colossus, or just about anything with the words Shin Megami Tensei the title. And I think the last thing people felt during the funeral scene in Lost Odyssey is "this is really fun!"

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 10, 2009 (10:08 PM)

You may find this to be a curious way to introduce Mega Man 9, but to be honest I don't really consider it to be a game worth discussing, let alone discussing in the context of god-like cell processing power

Personally, I don't think a statement like this belongs in a review, where it is your objective to discuss a game.

To me this is saying "I'm going to review this game, but not really because it's not worth discussing."

If you really don't want to discuss it, then pick a different game to review.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 10, 2009 (10:37 PM)

I liked this review. Here's an error I spotted in the eighth paragraph:

up until the moment Dr Wily gets on his knees and gives Mega Man what *he really wants. [* - added by me.]

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.