Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Felix_Arabia's Adventure review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: November 18, 2008 (05:03 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Neat review.

Whereas certain games seem to get more credit than they deserve (I'll cite Pong, because there were already ping pong games before Pong. I know Pong was the first popular title, but I don't see its direct influence in any subsequent great games) I always think of Adventure and Pitfall! as the two definitive Atari games that lead into the NES age (because so many great NES games are derivations on those formulas).

I've got to contend I think Space Invaders was the first great game though. In fact, I think most NES games trace back to these three (or some Space Invaders/Asteroids/Defender mesh if not any specific one), since they all grew to transcend the "flash game" format, whereas something like Pac-Man didn't.

EDIT: Then again, maybe Pac-Man had influence on Zelda as well. It's an iffy subject area, but fun to consider.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 18, 2008 (06:04 PM)

I liked this review. I thought it presented an interesting argument, which is good because it's on an Atari game, and really, you can't say much about Atari games in general (like how they play and stuff).

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 19, 2008 (12:10 PM)

Thanks guys.

Of those games you mentioned, Drella, they're all important. I'm not really a fan of Space Invaders, though I definitely can see why you or someone else would think it's great. It certainly did a lot for the early video game scene.

As for Pac-Man influencing Zelda, well, I think that means you need to write a new review for the latter.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 19, 2008 (12:39 PM)

One last points to consider: as we revel in...

I think you mean 'point' there.

Single grammatical nitpick aside, this was a good review. I'm glad that you acknowledged Adventure's role as the first of what was an inevitable type of game. I get tired of people who say that Zelda would not have existed without Adventure, or that Ys wouldn't have. That's absurd. Someone else would have gone there and done that, just as we would have had scrolling platformers even without Mario.

At the same time, it's worth cheering for any game that does something first--even when the premise is as obvious as it was in Adventure. I've played the game and didn't particularly enjoy it, but I could see how some of its elements appear in games to this very day.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 20, 2008 (08:26 AM)

Really good review. I hit this game up a really long time ago in a review that's even pretty much faded from my memory, so it's nice to see Adventure get some more of the adoration it so rightly deserves!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 20, 2008 (01:18 PM)

Thanks for pointing out the typo, Jason. It's been fixed.

Ditto, OD. I decided to review Adventure after having read your review. If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me. Granted, I kind of like Airlock despite its inequities. No joke.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.