Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW November 9-15, 2008

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 18, 2008 (03:11 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a competition deadline week. I expect greatness.

As always, staff reviews are excluded from the running. Only one review may be selected per reviewer.

2nd Runner Up: Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (X360) by Suskie

If this proves to be Suskie's last review for this website, we should be glad that it was for a franchise so well-loved by the author. I can discern Suskie's love for Banjo Kazooie, not because he used to mention how much he enjoyed the N64 games, but because of the way he conveys his opinion over this game. It's easy to throw digs at Rare. Even people who like their games have little issue going against their word when the times seem opportune. Suskie explains the pros and cons to Nuts & Bolts, but he does it in a way that would cater to someone who remembers the greatness of the N64 titles and may be wary about the relaunch of the famous Bear and Bird. I'm one of those people, so I greatly appreciated the information that this review conveyed through Suskie's writing.

1st Runner Up: Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2) by Bloomer

I've read some very good Silent Hill 4 reviews in the past. In spite of the fact that they're negative towards the game, they're nevertheless interesting analyses. Bloomer's SH4 review is also very good, but it's also more forgiving for the game in question. The writing is incredibly engaging in spite of the paragraphs appearing lengthy. My eyes glided across the text with little obstacle, leaving me very satisfied with what I had just read. This would have won RotW in most weeks, so be sure to read it if you haven't yet.

Review of the Week: Resistance 2 (PS3) by True

This is a review that strives to place palpable emotion, rage, and excitement into words. It succeeds. Sometimes a reviewer can get a little too fan-fic-y in his writing, but True’s Resistance 2 review contains an excellent balance of styles. The style is incredibly engaging as it paints a detailed picture of the game, but it’s also informative enough for the reader to get some useful information. “I wanted a fight. A damn good one.” Looks like True got it.

There were some other really good reviews submitted this week, but alas there is no room to laud them here. Thankfully, Drella (I believe) has this current week, so be sure to swamp him with some skill.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 18, 2008 (03:23 PM)

Good job guys. These are some great reviews.

And thanks to Felix for catching us up finally.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: True
Posted: November 19, 2008 (12:15 AM)

Thanks for the honor, Felix. It's nice to know that I've still got it after a year, especially being matched against reviewers like Suskie and Bloomer, whom both did a wonderful job.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: November 19, 2008 (04:52 AM)

Yep, very good work everyone. Though I agree with what Zipp said in the feedback, True, about that 'war/brilliant' line. I don't think there's anyway around it looking like it's saying war per se is brilliant and flawless. Gotta change!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 19, 2008 (06:16 AM)

Thanks for stepping in Felix. I've already read and enjoyed Bloomer's review; I'll check out the other two later today.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.