Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW November 2-8, 2008 -- Bonus Edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 18, 2008 (12:59 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There were some solid reviews this week. Let’s see how things went.

As always, staff reviews are excluded from the running. Only one review may be selected per reviewer.

2nd Runner Up: Guilty Gear 2: Overture (X360) by Pickhut

In general, I like Pickhut’s written work for two notable reasons. His style is casual and conversational, yet usually enlightening and thorough, which is notable considering his reviews are rarely lengthy. I also like Pick’s writing because he covers interesting games in an interesting way, and Guilty Gear 2: Overture is no exception. The intro utilizes dry humor well, and the body of the review works well to inform the reader how certain game inclusions may be misleading. A solid effort.

1st Runner Up: Jim Power: The Arcade Game (GEN) by Wolfqueen001

WQ begins this review with vigorous descriptions that make Jim Power: The Arcade game sound like a winner. Then, as she so candidly reveals in the next paragraph, this game isn’t quality. It serves as a minor disappointment, as I like the color palette utilized in this game, and it looks like it could at least be a decent title, but the review says otherwise. From the second paragraph on, WQ does an admirable job describing how things get continuously worse. The game may not have been very exciting, but the review contained a consistent energy level from start to finish that made this a fun read.

Review of the Week: Trilby’s Notes (PC) by Synonymous

Synonymous immediately begins this review by dropping a name I’m not familiar with. Ben Croshaw, sure he’s the developer behind Trilby’s Notes, but who is he really? Well, I went ahead and looked him up. Turns out he’s responsible for other several other games in the same series as Trilby’s Notes, has developed the 1213 series, and is currently working on a video reviewing project called Zero Punctuation. I wouldn’t have cared had Synonymous’ review not been engaging, but the writing in the review made me curious. It not only tutored me on the game Trilby’s Notes, but it opened up my curiosity to a slew of other Croshaw titles. If that doesn’t make this piece RotW-worthy, I don’t know what does.

There you have it, folks! Three different women have swept this week’s top three rankings! You go, girls!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 18, 2008 (02:00 PM)

But... I thought I was the only woman here.... ;-;

Haha.

Thanks, though. That commentary gives me confidence that hopefully I'll meet my goals for the tourney.

Anyway, congrats to Synonymous, who's name I don't feel I can spell right without a spellchecker. for her victory (girl power!), and to pickhut for placing third, which isn't too bad considering the competition.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 18, 2008 (07:07 PM)

Thanks for the various comments, Felix. Congrats to Wolfqueen on her placing and Synonymous for the RotW spot.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Synonymous
Posted: November 20, 2008 (07:58 PM)

who's name I don't feel I can spell right without a spellchecker

Heh; my real name isn't much of an improvement.

Thanks very much for the early birthday present, thanks to EmP for the kind words earlier, and congratulations to wolfqueen and pickhut!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.