Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW 26/10 -- 1/11: The Late Edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 17, 2008 (10:59 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I could tell you all a tale of mistakes and misinformation, mostly those of other people, that have so delayed this RotW, but, frankly, I don’t have the time to do so. So this is as much as an introduction as you’re going to get. You all know the rules by now, anyway.

THIRD:Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (PSX) by zip dementia

You keep telling me not to read your review! I am not a Metal Gear Solid fan in the slightest, and, so, took your advice and read no further than the intro.

If only I could actually get away with that. Oh well.

The review feels more like an essay on what you argue as the media tainted evolution and, while you make this argument well, it doesn’t really tell me much about the title. You have some brief examples squeezed into one paragraph an you make the game’s option sound interesting -- mission accomplished -- but you then go no further than a quick gloss over before you move right on back to what you really want to talk about. I think it’s good to use your review to make a bigger point than simply “this game is worth X/10”, but not at the price of all but ignoring the game itself.

SECOND: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance (NES) by dagoss

I’ve never heard of Pool of Radiance -- how do you like them apples, you Alpha no-show, you!

Now I’ve put you in your place, I enjoyed the review despite (or, perhaps, because of) how you drop wordy prose to revel instead in pure nerding. It’s a cerebral read that takes even the ignorant such as myself on an educational tour around a game that I can now only assume deserves the praise you lavish upon it. There is the odd thing I would change, like how too many of your paragraphs start with ’and’, but you did what you set out to do; give this game a level of grandeur. Not an easy task to accomplish

FIRST: Mother 3 (GBA) by timrod

A 10/10 Timrod review makes me nervous. Perhaps, to show this, I’ll pledge never to read a GBA review he writes ever again!

If I did read the review, I would proclaim it solid. Timrod doesn’t need to start with fantastic writing, because it’s for a game that, so long as you pick the right examples, will write itself. Timrod does pick the right examples, letting the kooky sign about flower trampling and timing your attack combinations with the background music. You make Mother 3 sound great, fully justifying the 10/10 score slapped on the end but, more than that, though you don’t skimp on details and the review is long, it feels shorter than it is. It’s not an ambitious review, but it is the most effective of the week.
That’s all

For us. For them. For you.

This message was deleted at the request of wolfqueen001, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 17, 2008 (01:29 PM)

Congrats, I guess, bahaha.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 17, 2008 (08:45 PM)

XD I just realized that this wasn't combining the last two weeks after all. That dispels a ton of confusion right there. Good lord.

Sorry guys. I know I sounded crass earlier, but man...

Too many damn ones... I read too many ones.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.