Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > darketernal's Out of this World review

This thread is in response to a review for Out of this World on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 15, 2008 (01:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I wanted to play this game ever since seeing it in a Nintendo Power when I was, like, seven. Your review does not ease the craving.

Ah, and Flashback! One of the few games I actually had a ROM for... I died... a lot.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: November 16, 2008 (11:51 AM)

Good games, good - different times.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: December 05, 2010 (12:25 AM)

You know, I just was informed that there is an error in this review. Flashback was NOT a sequel to Out of this World. the actual sequel was Heart of the Alien.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: December 05, 2010 (05:45 AM)

..you know.. if you made some of the sentences a little bit more precise and direct (more of the "I will call him Bob". And less of the "attacked by ..bull/bison/monster... thing"... then this would be a very good story.

I'm not too fond of the wandering context, though. From being you at the computer desk, to the professor with the coke-can. There could be ways to make that flow better if you want to make the immersion a point. Maybe make it more subtle at the beginning, but focus it specifically on you at the desk - and then end it with abruptly sitting at the desk again with the floppy disk. That would complement it, imo, and make the transition easier to understand and keep present when you are about to stop reading.

Not because filling in explanations doesn't fit, but because that would be a way to avoid changing context too many times. I.e., there's your childhood, then there's you as a kid thinking about games, then it's you before the computer, then it's into the game, etc. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's tiring to a reader who doesn't know the context. And that might be a way to make this into an eminently readable short-story.

..anyway, I really liked the story-approach.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 05, 2010 (06:59 AM)

I really enjoy games like those. Never played Heart of Darkness, which is from the same creator, but I've heard mixed things about it. I also read that Ueda, creator of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, drew a lot of inspiration from Out of this World.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: December 05, 2010 (08:00 AM)

Hmmm, can't believe I said Flashback is the sequel, since I know it's not and I know it's Heart of the Alien(which is atrocious). Should edit that, it's probably EmP's editing fault anyway.

As for the immersion, I tried to bring the nostalgic feel to it, since it's probably the first full color game I played on the PC(my old 286, as I first had a monitor without colour, and played Prince of Persia on it). My cousin and myself spent some odd 17 hours in one sitting on this game, and managed to finish it.

board icon
Posted: December 05, 2010 (09:09 AM)

..can I think of it as a .. presequel. Or an inter-spinoff, or something like that?

board icon
Posted: December 05, 2010 (10:52 AM)

Heart of Darkness isn't a very smooth-playing game but the ambiance of the game is incredible.

board icon
Posted: December 05, 2010 (01:16 PM)

Flashback is more of a game in the same engine, by the same company. Story wise it has nothing to do with Out of this World, and I don't know if they share the same universe or not.

As for Heart of the Darkness, if I remember correctly, it was quite liked by people because it had some pretty scary scenes, especially considering the main guy was a kid, the graphics and the ambience was nice, though, frankly, I can't remember the story too good.

board icon
Posted: December 06, 2010 (02:34 AM)

..mm. That is a good point about Flashback. The aliens taking over earth, the universe in general, getting your memory back - it doesn't seem to actually have anything to do with what happens in the first game.

I'm not sure why, but it just obviously was the sequel anyway :D

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.