Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's Dreamfall: The Longest Journey review

This thread is in response to a review for Dreamfall: The Longest Journey on the Xbox. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 13, 2008 (02:37 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a pretty sweet review that I read with interest, having played and reviewed the game myself (but not The Longest Journey). I think you were very fair to the game and what it does right... and wrong. There were only two "oops" moments when it came to your grammar (probably the result of the effective polishing you must have done on your original draft) and the writing was engaging throughout. I might even go so far as to say that this is your finest review to date. It's exciting to see your writing continuing to evolve as it has. I look forward to--and hope for--many additional reviews from you!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 13, 2008 (10:07 AM)

Hey, thanks man! That's strong words coming from you, who I really respect as a reviewer. What were those grammar moments? I'd love to go back in and change em.

Oh, and you really should play Longest Journey. EVERYONE should play Longest Journey. It's a brilliant, unforgettable tale.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: November 13, 2008 (12:02 PM)

Because you asked...

In retrospect, I can't say I disliked the game, but I was definitely disapointed in some areas I never thought I'd be dissapointed in.

dsapointed = disappointed, dissapointed = disappointed

Probably the biggest dissapointment was the main character's interaction with the environment.

dissapointment = disappointment

But while she retains the same good voice acting and interesting character in dialouge, this simply vanishes when she's describing the world about her.

dialouge = dialogue

Even if you have played the first game, prepared to be confused.

prepared = prepare

I will go ahead and recommend Dreamfall for the elements it does gets right.

gets = get

Those are the only errors I found that don't simply amount to stylistic differences. Anything else is open for debate and doesn't affect the quality of the review. Like I said, this was a great piece. Keep it up!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: disco1960
Posted: November 13, 2008 (10:32 PM)

Great review! I especially like how it's all cogent and shit.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 13, 2008 (11:50 PM)

Thanks HG! Yeah, for an English major, spelling sure isn't my strong suit.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: November 14, 2008 (12:58 AM)

Don't feel too bad. It was an English major that spotted the errors, too (I had all of the writing-related courses necessary for an Associates degree out of the way, then dropped out). A lot of people have trouble with the small stuff. As your writing shows, you're good at the big pictures. And anyway, the small stuff you also mostly get right. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.