Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's Alone in the Dark review

This thread is in response to a review for Alone in the Dark on the Wii. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: November 12, 2008 (04:53 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I did not experience teleporting graphics or instant death for no apparent reason.

There are basically 2 versions of this game, which have quite different level sets. The Wii and PS2 share one set, and the XBox and PS3 share the other. Lots of talk at 'Chris's Survival Horror Quest' suggests the Wii and PS2 got the good set. Nearly everyone found the Xbox version maddening, especially 1. The combat being infinitely harder and the necessity to flambe all monsters. And 2. There's a whole bit devoted to incinerating multiple ground dwelling monsters in Central Park . Just running away from 2 of these guys on the Wii is pain enough. Anecdotally, it's pretty unanimous that point 2 was the worst thing.

The PS3 version is an attempt to execute the Xbox level set again but addressing the sorest points. I haven't played it but I heard mostly it did not fix enough. So in the end it remains my recommendation to play the Wii version, which I really dig. I don't think anyone's gonna die as a result. I think some of this review is disingenuous (like the sandwich as criticism) but I don't think we miss the basic point - you didn't like the game.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 12, 2008 (05:16 PM)

This review was an interesting read, but I'm not sure how much of it to believe. At the start, you say that you played the game only 10 minutes, then sold it and your Wii. I wondered at that point why I should read a review based on such a short time with it, but decided to anyway because you do have an engaging style--particularly at the start of this review.

So I kept reading, and later in the text you talk about playing the game, then going to get a sandwich while leaving the game running for 20 minutes. That's an interesting anecdote about the game and extremely effective at showing how perceived tension isn't really there, but it also contradicts your introduction. The end result is that I'm not sure what is exaggeration and what is fact, and the piece as a whole loses much of its effectiveness for me. It's still a good read (props for that!), but not something I would likely consider significantly when deciding whether or not to try the game for myself.

Speaking of which, I probably won't try it for myself. I don't generally like horror games all that much.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 12, 2008 (06:47 PM)

Yeah, I wondered how people would interpret that. What i meant to say, and will change, is that I played what SHOULD have been the first 10 minutes of gameplay, but it ended up being much longer because of the issues.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.