Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's NBA 2K9 review

This thread is in response to a review for NBA 2K9 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 05, 2008 (10:17 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review! You definitely went into some finer points of the game near the end and those were details I was anxious to see covered because I felt like much of the early portion--while undoubtedly true--could just as easily have applied to NBA Live 09. The differences you expressed at the end are what make the review because to someone like me who played NBA Live 09, they touch on what NBA 2K9 does differently and what potentially makes it the better version of roundball. Mainly, it sounds to me like it comes down to superior team AI. There were times playing NBA 09 when I'd watch my defense kindly step out of the way so that the opposing team could skip merrily up to the basket and slam dunk. I'm glad to hear that the defense in 2K9 apparently remembers its job. Though the tradeoff seems to be that NBA 09 has more intuitive controls on the court (something I definitely appreciate). Freethrows are cake, too.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 05, 2008 (03:36 PM)

Thanks Jason. It was tough to make the game sound unique, especially given that I had already seen and read your review for NBA Live. Glad it didn't put you to sleep. ^_^

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 05, 2008 (08:04 PM)

I don't understand why more games these days don't allow a reconfiguration of the control scheme. Doesn't make sense. It's not hard to program, and to not do it displays a kind of pompous "we know what's best for you" attitude.

More insulting is when they provide you with a bunch of preset control schemes, but no option to make your own. Inevitably, there will be one control scheme that's ALMOST right. But there's one button that always trips you up.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.