Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week November 2-8: Indiana Wolf and the Three LEGO Houses of Syberia XD

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 16, 2020 (05:00 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

If you haven't read it by now, I am on quarantine because my oldest child and my wife tested positive. We are all fine now, though my wife and my daughter both had at pretty worrying cases. The former was sick for about two weeks before recovering (though she still gets exhausted every now and then), and the baby had a fever around 102 that thankfully broke the night it came along. The rest of us had fairly mild cases and bounced back quickly.

Thanks to this time off (as per the policy of Providence, for whom I work, I must remain at home until Thanksgiving), I've been able to polish off some of the stuff in my backlog: namely Ara Fell, Amazing Princess Sarah, Insincere and Kindergarten. I've also made some progress in others:

The Last of Us Remastered- I'm teetering on the borderline between declaring this game a generic action title that's overproduced and admitting I was wrong about it seeming overrated. On one hand, it perfectly captures the concept of struggling to survive without stomping you into the mud. You actually feel like you can handle any situation, but still get the impression that you're one missed bullet or broken shiv away from losing everything. As for progress, I just met the "crazy friend." People who have played will know whom I mean. On the other hand, most of the scenes are really just the same stuff you play in almost any game: generic stealth, underwhelming crafting, straightforward gunplay... The only difference is everything has that Naughty Dog action movie feel to it.

Azure Saga: Pathfinder- I don't think I've played a more generic RPG than this one. Okay, that's not entirely true, but while this game isn't terrible, it's quite a snoozer. I'm almost done with it, and the story has admittedly picked up a little. However, it remains your run of the mill, turn-based roleplayer without any standout features and with a glitchy shop menu that has caused me to close and reboot the game numerous times.

Mega Man 11- I never in a million years thought I would be disappointed by this one, but the game is really irritating. Like, levels are way overlong and have tons of instant kill segments, plus each stage has a mini-boss. I'll still push through this one, but I predict that it'll join Mega Man 9 on the "I don't have time or patience for this shit" pile.

I'm also hoping to get through The Witcher before going back to work, as well as start (and maybe finish) Bad Dream: Coma.

Anyway:

LEGO Indiana Jones
Overdrive
You know what's funny? My experiences with this game are almost identical to yours. I also bought this in 2008/9 when I got a 360. It was a pack-in that included Kung Fu Panda. However, I didn't wait twelve years to complete it, as this was one of the first 360 games I finished. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to LEGO games: they're only great if you're a fan of the source material. If you don't like Indiana Jones, then you're just going to end up forcing yourself through a generic action game that only exists as a piece of interactive memorabilia. Other than that, you described the game perfectly, so anyone reading it should know what they're getting into when/if they decide to hunt it down. You know, all three people still interested in this one...

Metal Wolf Chaos XD THIRD PLACE
Pickhut
It can be really hard to describe generic video games effectively, but this one does the trick. You get through the most tedious bits efficiently, but give us great descriptions of the things that matter, plus offer criticism where it's due. It's not enough that this game is basic, but it also sound kind of grindy, which doesn't mesh well with basic. But at least it's funny!

Fire Emblem: Three Houses SECOND PLACE
Mariner
The intro is great stuff! Anyway, I'm a big fan of reviews that leave you feeling like you just played the game yourself without giving too much away, and that's absolutely what this one accomplishes. I also like that you explained FE's combat for those who haven't played the series (I've only played through The Sacred Stones, so I'm somewhat familiar), and did so without a dry description. I don't have much more to say about this piece. It gives a lot of good support and its "nitpicks" are relevant to the thesis. Nice work!

Syberia 3 ***REVIEW OF THE WEEK***
EmP
Every time I see a Syberia game on Steam, I think, "Maybe I should play that series." But part of me is always like, "NO.... NO NO NO NO." I think the main reason I avoided it is that I know I'll play all of the games associated with the brand, and that only the first one is certifiably good. Here, your review of the third game tells me that I should heed the NOing voice.

This is the kind of bash review I look for: one that concedes the (few and far between) good points, but gives the bad stuff a good, clever thrashing. Your descriptions are funny, but better than that, they're helpful and informative. This review also bleeds personality, and that's why it takes the top spot this week.

---

That's all I got.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 16, 2020 (01:04 PM)

Sorry to hear that about your family. Hopefully that's all that comes from that situation.

I guess I'm the odd one out on this site when it comes to Mega Man 11. I absolutely LOVE the lengthy stages, because that's one of the biggest flaws I had with some of the games in the classic series; just when a stage finally starts using its gimmicks in more challenging, diverse ways.... I get tossed into a boss fight. There's nothing I hate more than an interesting idea that hasn't been fleshed out in a video game.

But thanks for the third placement and comments! I seem to be hitting a lot of average games lately, unintentionally, so I guess I'm getting some good practice when it come to reviewing them. Good going to everyone that submitted this small week, and congrats EmP!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 17, 2020 (09:53 AM)

Thanks for the comments.

I know what you mean about playing a lot of average games, Pick. For me, it's been more in the "good, but not great" category, but it seems like I've reviewed a number of games recently that fit into the "I liked it, but didn't love it..." category that can be trickier to write about.

Dishonored was a step or two above that and New Super Mario Bros. will be, too, whenever I get the time to write that review (another work project, so my review-typing time is a bit more limited). Mafia II will be back in the "decent" category, but at least that'll have a hook (fun story that's basically playing through a mob movie, gameplay is GTA minus all the optional fun stuff that makes sandbox games truly fun).

Bloodborne, though, that will be pure gushing. And won't be that far in the future as, other than the final bosses, all I have yet to do is either finish the Chalice Dungeons or reach my breaking point with them. And I got a big boost early this morning, when after a dozen or so failures, I FINALLY got past Watchdog of the Old Lords in Cursed Pthumeru Defilement Chalice Dungeon. One more floor of that hellhole and I'll be off to the final Chalice! Although, to be fair, I have kind of enjoyed that one with the exception of the bosses because it's been a fun challenge to alter my fighting style to compensate for having half health.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 06, 2020 (08:23 AM)

I'm late to everything right now, and that shows no sign of slowing up, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate this topic! Syberia 3 was a real slog to get through, and they've just released a working demo for the fourth game I guess I'll feel obliged enough to meander through at some point. Here's hoping it's at least better than the mess that is 3...

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.