Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Metal Gear Survive review

This thread is in response to a review for Metal Gear Survive on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bwv_639
Posted: November 12, 2020 (02:49 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Riddled with microtransactions.
There's no way around it. In the last 20 years, a new type has emerged, the economics and finance trained advisor whose chief is understanding how the majority of people seek to be handled.
It's like politics advice, after all, the free market being a paragon of actual democracy (which I still believe to be the best governance system, in videogames, as well as politics).

What the most want, gets done most (and first). It ends with the typical switch of money from means (to higher ends) to (chief) end.

And when we say, of anything (a movie, song, videogame) that it is "independent", we don't spell what it is independent of out of kindness and urbanity.

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 14, 2020 (03:44 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I think the floodgates were ready to open with microtansactions in the last/current generation of consoles, and it would have have been a nightmare. Though it gets shilled hard by certain areas of the game's media you're better of ignoring as a necessity, charging full AAA retail price for most of a video game and being told you have to buy the rest of it in small chunks is shady shit. But EA alone made something like $1 billion for it this year, so the demand is obviously there. If that lawsuit about how micortransactions are essentially gambling peddled to children hadn't been raised, it probably would have been the norm at this point, which is a very troubling thought.

That's not to say I don't think there's no place for it at all. I think genuine DLC is a great way to continue a game you've enjoyed, even though it's become oft abused. I also play League of Legends, which is a free to play game that survives solely on microtansactions, which I find a lot more palatable seeing as I've not spent $X on the base game and all you buy is stuff you can either obtain through the game naturally, or cosmetic items.

In this case, I'm angry I had to spend money on the base game of Metal Gear Survive. There's zero chance I'm going to supplement it any further!

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.