Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Aug. 31 to Sept. 6, 2020 -- Back on track!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 09, 2020 (11:26 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Only three reviews this week. Which is no problem for me. Quick and easy work to ease into a what should, in theory, be a fun few days. If anything, it's a miracle I remembered to do this. And on time this time, even if last time was the first untimely one I've had in a good year or more.

THIRD PLACE

CRB's X-Men: Children of the Atom (Arcade)

So, the end of the first paragraph finishes with "that captivating gamers worldwide", which should be "captivated". One typo, but it was a bit of a harbinger for this review needing a proofing and a bit of revision. There were a few areas that read a bit rough. A couple sentences I had to read a couple times to get what you were saying due to awkward phrasings. And so on with that sort of thing. Take those away and this is a solid review that gives the nuts-and-bolts about this game, as well as your opinions on what works and what doesn't. A bit of cleaning up and I'd say this is a perfectly fine review, but right now it does read a bit rough…or to steal your tagline, it was me "reading about mutant fighting in an erratic way".

SECOND PLACE

Brian's Backbone: Prologue (PC)

The battle between second and third place was interesting. CRB had a review that did a good job of giving me the nuts and bolts about his game, but the writing was pretty rough at points. You had some smooth writing here, but I probably could have used more "actual game stuff" writing. From the beginning, I know its a point-n-click game and your next-to-last paragraph does go into more detail on various mechanics, but I have no idea about anything concerning plot, character, etc. other than how your guy seems to be named Howard and that characters are humanoid animals. There are two paragraphs discussing the use of human-animal hybrids and one concerning the things you do in playing the game, which doesn't seem right to me. As a pure reading project, I probably liked your review the most of the three, but as an actual review of a game, it left me at the "it's a point-n-click and I don't tend to do those" point and never gave me a reason to want to know more.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK (aka: Overdrive Place)

Jason's Kingdom Rush (Switch)

So, this week, I had three reviews: a fighting game, a point-n-click adventure and, now, a tower defense game. If not for the fact EmP didn't contribute, I'd be half-convinced this was all a plot by him to make sure I had nothing but games in genres that I have little to no interest in solely to punish me for being so late with my last RotW. Remember, it's not paranoia when they ARE out to get you!

To start with the negative, I think you have a missing word in your next-to-last paragraph. "It's possible to change between three difficulty settings, but doing so seem to award any additional points." I think you need a "doesn't" before "seem". Either that or it's "seems", but in context, that'd be an "and" instead of a "but" if that was the case.

Take that out of the equation and this was a very strong review. You have done a number of reviews for this sort of game and definitely know what you're talking about, as evidenced with your paragraph about the hero character and how, unlike comparable games, this one doesn't allow any real customization. Overall, you do a good job of describing the game and its mechanics and how things expand over time, giving you more modifications. Even if I don't care about this game or its genre, I at least enjoyed reading your review of it!

Off to the next adventure!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 09, 2020 (01:27 PM)

Thanks for the topic and the win, Overdrive, and for catching that missing word. You were exactly right about which word was missing, so I've edited that into the review. My only excuse is that I was in a rush when I wrote and edited. (Get it? In a rush? That was a hilarious joke and I wouldn't want anyone to miss it.)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 14, 2020 (01:13 PM)

I definitely caught the joke. Probably due to you making sure I caught it. I did chuckle, but it was probably more due to the reminder that you did make a joke than anything else. Or because it was yesterday and after a few days killing brain cells at the race track, I'd regressed to a mental state where I'd laugh at anything. EITHER-OR!!!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.