Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Radia Senki: Reimei Hen review

This thread is in response to a review for Radia Senki: Reimei Hen on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: August 10, 2020 (06:40 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

So I played this game relatively early, when it had just gotten a fan translation. This game, along with FFIII, really changed my perspective of what the Famicom/NES could do. It helps that I played them at a time where GameFAQs was exploding and message boards for games like this got regular traffic.

If you look past the brain dead AI for your party (and enemies, so it sort of evened out) I had a lot of fun with this. The music is great, the setting is memorable, and the set pieces interesting.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 12, 2020 (12:16 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, I remember the old GameFAQs board. Think I found it when I'd initially started the whole translation thing and needed help finding my way somewhere or doing something or whatever.

This game was really good for its time. I remember really digging it back then. It was fresh and new for me and seemed a bit better than the other action-RPG games from its era. Don't remember having the same issues with the combat that I had now, which is why I went with the "didn't age well" as far as that aspect of the game goes.

As time goes on, I find I have less and less patience with awkward mechanics. And there were a couple dungeons in this game that could be utter hell in battles if they happened at the wrong location. The bats flying through walls while you have to wait for them to S-L-O-W-L-Y meander somewhere where you can attack them. A few times you'd be stuck in narrow areas and behind party members, so you were more or less a bystander. Those incidents were a minority and most of the game was perfectly fine, but when that did happen, it was this "Why...why am I doing this...?" moment that did hurt the overall experience.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.