Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week July 13 - 19: Way overdue, blame my employers and Devolver Digital.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 25, 2020 (11:16 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Between working hard and falling asleep almost the instant I got home and forcing myself to stay awake so I can play Carrion, I wasn't able to complete my huge ROTW consisting of a whopping three reviews (yes I see that holdover, OD).

Carrion is fantastic, review forthcoming.

Regions of Ruin is not so fantastic, but a review is coming for that regardless.

Dogurai was almost fantastic, and will also be reviewed. I don't think I have anything else to talk about right now, and I won't bore you with my Pokemon GO experience today, which ended with me nabbing twelve new shinies, so...

---

THIRD PLACE
CRB's Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
This is a solid review that gives plenty of info on the game. Though I played (and actually finished) the original Golden Axe, I don't think I've ever touched this one. Your descriptions of the characters told me I should probably MAME it at some point.

I don't really have too much to add. It's a bit of a dry read at some points, but it's otherwise a solid piece.

SECOND PLACE
Overdrive's Mahjong Tales

I will say that this is one of the best Mahjong reviews I've read. I haven't read many, but out of those few I think I enjoyed this one the most. You gave a lot of great detail and incorporated some criticism that pertains to the real world. Why play a game like this, on a pretty much dead system, when modern tech provides cheaper, easier-to-use facsimiles of that experience?

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
EmP's WWF Wrestlemania
Ugh, this game... I wanted to review this, but dragged my feet because I don't want to play it again. I probably will at some point, but I mean, come on! Are you a wrestling game? Are you a fighting game? For the love of God, pick one genre to suck at!

Soap box over.

There are a few typos in there, but so what? Like a lot of your other reviews, this one was entertaining, flowed nicely and oozed personality. I liked the bit about Yokozuna and the salt and fish, because WTAF? At least you played this and not WWF In Your House, which is exactly like this title, except: A) a few more wrestlers, B) almost no soundtrack, and C) slower. But hey, it has Owen Hart, Goldust and Vader.

---

That's all I got.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 26, 2020 (08:05 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks for the kind words and placement. Out of fairness to Mahjong Tales, it is available via PS Now, so it's on a dead system, but emulated to one that's alive. But yeah, rekindling my Mahjong-ing led me to download a phone game to play on the road and that made me think "Why would I want to play it with a controller on a TV when this is the sort of game that's made for touch-screen action?"

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.