Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Super Mario Maker 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Mario Maker 2 on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bwv_639
Posted: March 21, 2020 (11:07 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I am considering buying a Switch due to only this game.

Freedom from marketing and market considerations allows independent designers (creative fans are part of them) to do things hired developers can not — not in published material at least, and I have seen too many too-beautiful levels on YouTube to resist the purchase.

Switch owners won't necessarily have one at their disposal. To them I say: "Buy one." That's what I did.

Absolutely.

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 21, 2020 (02:43 PM)

It is the sort of game that could keep me busy for months yet to come, if I would let it. Which I won't... but the temptation is there.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: bwv_639
Posted: December 22, 2020 (02:29 PM)

I purchased a Switch console a few days following my former comment here, only for this game.
I didn't regret it: for Super Mario lovers, it's worth buying the system for this game. There is an endless pool of clever dedicated level designers sharing their creations with the community, with levels able to entertain people of all skills. The level editor is wondrous.

As for the online multiplayer, the infrastructure is still quite lacking, and slow-downs are there all the time, whatever the available Internet speed. Data consumption also seem too high and not optimized.

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 22, 2020 (02:54 PM)

I'm glad you got a Switch and don't regret that purchase! I haven't played Super Mario Maker 2 since, really, but it's one of those games I could happily devote more time to at any point and I read they have since improved it by allowing people to connect levels into "worlds." I unfortunately have other obligations, or I would return to this and play a lot more of it (and more importantly for my interests, build a lot more). My library of Switch games just passed 700 in total, so I can't just keep playing any single one of them all the time. ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.