Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Wizards & Warriors review

This thread is in response to a review for Wizards & Warriors on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 15, 2020 (10:56 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is the poster child for Games I Loved In High School But Can't Play Today. Back then, I really dug the theme and how it was really easy to beat on a rainy Saturday due to how death is only a minor inconvenience and the only real potential pitfall is forgetting to get the Axe subweapon in the one fire cave area, as its power is VERY helpful in beating the skeleton boss and the final boss. Well, unless you also count potentially losing patience because the one area where the tiny platforms and long falls really got to me was the really short castle exterior stage where, in order to get enough gems to get inside the castle, you'll have to scale a near-infinite amount of tiny platforms that regularly retract into the wall where the only thing keeping it from pure platform hell is the fact that you don't die for missing a jump.

But as I got older and games got better, I realized it was a short, pretty bland game where the challenge is based in the combination of having to deal with unending swarms of tiny monsters from all angles AND knowing that every time you take a few hits, you'll have to listen to the music changing from decent to "BEING DEAD WOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!" horrible.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: February 16, 2020 (06:07 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, the castle exterior platforms are... special. I think what really helped me their was the levitation ability. Probably the only spot in the game where that was semi-useful. Good thing I picked up that axe power; didn't cross my mind that could be missed.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.