Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's Far Cry 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Far Cry 2 on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: November 02, 2008 (11:27 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm hearing so many differing opinions of Far Cry 2, ranging from "crippling disappointment" to "BEST GAME EVAH!"

I really do need to play it. I adored the original. Despite the trigens, one of my favourite shooters in recent years.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 02, 2008 (04:01 PM)

I should mention that it has NOTHING in common with the old games. I didn't play them, so I didn't know that at the time I wrote this review, but I was informed by an online acquantence. Apparantly the old games had very different mechanics. He mentioned something about special powers?

Anyways, don't go into this expecting the old games. THERE IS NO CONNECTION, not plot or gameplay.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: November 02, 2008 (11:35 PM)

Which screams "CASH-IN!" doesn't it? Why go all-out to create a new type of FPS experience (I'd have liked to see you discuss the randomised character idea a little more) if you're going to give it an old series' name? Sounds more like a spiritual successor than a sequel.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: November 02, 2008 (11:55 PM)

You're right, I should've been more clear on the randomized character thing. I'll edit that now, actually...

To sum up what I'm about to write, when I say pregenerated character, I mean more of a pregenerated skin. What character you choose has no bearing on the game except that that character won't show up as a buddy.

On paper the idea of Far Cry 2 sounds dismally shallow. But like I said, you have to see it... the immersion and the setting are so well done that it really does boost a 5/10 game up to a 7/10.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: November 03, 2008 (12:52 AM)

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Have you played through more than once?

FC2 incorporates a system whereby different characters appear at different locations each time, so the story plays out in a different way each time you go through it. Or so I've been told, anyway.

board icon
Posted: November 03, 2008 (09:49 AM)

Ah, no I didn't know that. But it still couldn't change the fact that the game will basically play out the same way over and over, no matter where you are. The missions are really repetitive.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.