Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure review

This thread is in response to a review for Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure on the TurboGrafx-16. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 06, 2020 (07:33 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review, Rob. I always meant to play this one, and I only managed to sample it on an emulator once or twice. Unlike you, I thought the first Bonk was great, and the second fantastic, but for the little I played of it, I too was put off by the sameness/lameness of Bonk 3. Maybe it's the visuals? The graphics look like reused spare parts from previous games arranged in an unsightly way. Yup, this one truly spelled the end. Weirdly, I think there's a CD version that costs a fortune on eBay.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 06, 2020 (08:46 AM)

The first one is a game I really should play again at some time. Think it was well over a decade ago or so when I played/reviewed it. I dug the second one, but thought some of the bosses sucked and, therefore, really didn't like the endgame's short level boss rush. This one, coming so soon after playing the second game, was tough to review, as I had to fight through the "didn't I just do this before" ennui to realize that if I'd played it before Bonk's Revenge, I'd likely like it a bit more and that there's nothing really wrong about the game other than a few annoyances -- it's just not original in any notable way.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 06, 2020 (08:51 AM)

Nearly 14 years ago is when I reviewed the first Bonk. So that was a long-ass wait between playing the first and second games in the series. So, who knows? If I'd waited 14 years between the second and third, I might have liked the third a good bit more.

Also, upon further review, at least the third has one great thing standing out about it. As per the one pic I used, that baby enemy is pure nightmare fuel!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: CptRetroBlue
Posted: January 08, 2020 (01:14 AM)

Bonk its a character that should be brought back in games like Smash Bros. or make a full comeback in a revival.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.