Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW -- Aug. 5-11: Quick and easy because I'm really busy right now. Sorry, not sorry!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 13, 2019 (01:26 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This be likely to be a shorter, more half-assed RotW than my usual ones, because I am having a busy week at work. One of those handful-a-year weeks where I have a big project to do, which, by pure bad luck happens to fall on my week to this. So, if you placed between fourth and seventh place this week, here's my "honorable mention" speech: "Good job, you just fell a bit short, so keep up the good work and maybe, just maybe, you'll get over the hump and place in the top three next time!" I mean, if you want something more than that, just let me know and when I have some spare time over this week or next, I'll eventually get around to responding.

But seriously, EmP had three reviews to read last week and I have seven to do myself this week. WHAT GIVES?!?!??!

THIRD PLACE

EmP's Tiny Metal: Full Metal Rumble (PC)

Huh, so you're always talking about how I ramble and talk about myself and what do we have here? An intro that does talk about the basics of the game in a whimsical, rambling way where you have the game directly comparing itself to Advance Wars…followed by a paragraph where you talk about your love of Advance Wars. I'M ONTO YOU, MAN!!!!! It's a good thing I love my writing style, as that might have carried you past a strong crowd into the placement zone. Overall, this was a good review that got us through the basics of the game and how this series has evolved, while making sure to bring out the comparisons between this and Advance Wars. I don't know that I liked the conclusion all that much, but you basically admitted to not being sure how you'd end it, so you either felt the same way or were just happy that I'd have no choice but to endure that damn pun at the end.

SECOND PLACE

Marc's Ninja Gaiden (PS4)

This was a really fun review to read. You do a really good job of describing all the weird, cool aspects of this game to make me understand how it captivated so much as a youth (along with pics that show off some of that eclectic nature), but also do a really good job of describing how the actual experience of playing it is so flawed that, as you said, it'd be better to simply watch a YouTube video so you can get the experience without having to endure its frustrations.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK (aka: Overdrive Place)

Mariner's Xeodrifter (Switch)

It was a tough choice between you and Marc for first place, but this one barely edged it out. I really liked how you brought up how metroidvania games have gotten more prolific in recent years, leading to why, if they are becoming so commonplace, would someone want to play a completely mediocre game in that genre? And then you do a really good job pointing out all the aspects of this game that are mediocre in a way that was really easy to read through and understand. One oft-repeated boss and linear stages combined with a tiny bestiary which completely disrupts the concept of four separate worlds. Really gives me the impression of an idea that was put together as quickly and lazily as possible just to get it released while the iron was still hot.

Cool, now off to dedicate the rest of my week to work! Yayyyyy…..shootmenow

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 14, 2019 (12:41 PM)

Thanks, Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed it, especially as it was my first review in a good while and one of very few I've submitted this year.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 19, 2019 (11:58 AM)

Late EmP is late.

That ramble intro can't be anything like your usual efforts, Robert. After all, even in a roundabout way, it talks about the game. More to the point, I could not figure out how to start talking about the game, so just dove in headfirst and started getting words on screen without overthinking it. Or thinking at all. Very overrated.

Ta for the place, congrats to my betters this week.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.