Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: June 10-16, 2019 -- A short and sweet treat. Neat...

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 18, 2019 (11:52 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Only three reviews to do this week, which makes me happy in my role of "guy who reads and judges reviews". Now that I'm not buried at work, I'm enjoying having a bit more "breathing time" to work on my personal projects and writing actual reviews myself, so only having to take a little bit of time away from that to do this is very welcome!

So, with no further ado, let's rank these things!

THIRD PLACE

vgc2000's Astro Chase (Atari 5200)

Huh, not every week we get an Atari 5200 review on this site. And this is a game I'd not heard about before. Which probably shouldn't surprise me, as I never owned or played this system and mainly knew it from how its ports looked better in magazines than those on my Atari 2600. This is a short review that does suffer a bit from phrasing choices (like using "not much fun to play" twice in the opening sentence, for example), but it does get its point across. It's a game that's not inherently bad, but takes too long to get going and winds up being dull because of that.

---

SECOND PLACE

Brian's Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (PC)

Damn, this was a dense review! I have to admit that it took me a little while to get through this one, as I've not played any Hitman games and, therefore, at time struggled when you compared something here to something in another game. And I have to admit that I'm not overly sold on your high rating, as to me, it read like you were saying "This game is fun if you dedicate yourself to taking advantage of its jankiness concerning the stealth. But you do show that you know what you're talking about as far as this series go and do a good job of coming off as a voice of authority on Hitman. I don't know if its the most accessible review for a person interesting in learning about Hitman, but for a person with knowledge of the series and the original game that this seems to be a remake of, I can see it being a really good read.

---

REVIEW OF THE WEEK (aka: Overdrive Place)

EmP's Batman: Arkham Asylum (PC)

I particularly liked your opening bit, especially since you've ragged on me before for playing some hit game a decade after everyone else, so it's nice to see you fall into that EXACT SAME TRAP of juggling so much stuff that you can occasionally wind up way behind the times. As someone who played this game WAY BEFORE YOU, reading this review brought me back down memory lane. It's not a particularly long review, but you seem to touch on all the key points from the stealth-based battling to panic enemies to the detective work to the Scarecrow's hallucination levels. This just came off as a tightly-written review that was quite satisfying to read. And that's enough praise for you, Mr. Behind The Times.
---

And that's that. Back again to do this in a few more weeks.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 19, 2019 (06:43 AM)

Congrats mainly to Rob for scoring an easy week. We just about pulled the numbers for the podium, and decent reviews were had by all. Good job to all who subbed; better job to me!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: June 19, 2019 (07:16 AM)

This weather has had me in a state so I've not been able to contribute, but I'm glad to see things carrying on: Congratulations to the participants!

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.