Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 6th May – 12th May // Exclusively Yesteryear

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 13, 2019 (03:39 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Four reviews, three authors, medals for everyone.

THIRD: Gremlins [ATR] CptRetroBlue

Props to Blue, who has recently added a new string to his bow, and started using screenshots. The most immediate problem with this review is that these screenshots are overused, and stretch the review out too much. You should really avoid a paragraph -> screenshot -> paragraph approach when you can unless those screens really tie into the words. They don’t in this case. If it was me, I wouldn’t bother with the first screen (the splash screen doesn't show you a lot that’s relevant), and then space it out as two paragraphs - screen - two paragraphs - screen - ending paragraph. Maybe something to consider going forward.

There’s a few awkward lines throughout - for example: This premise does not follow much on what is based on but enough to expose how you will deal with Gremlins after their Mowgli forms do away with the food present. This line is a bit jumbled and vague and could probably benefit from being clearer explanations. Consider something like This premise does not strictly follow its source material but is clear enough to show you how to deal with Gremlins after their Mowgli forms do away with the food present. Other little errors crop up like It is important to note that it really doesn't matter how many burger where burger should be burgers.

Still, you take an interesting game and write a concise, helpful review. It’s obvious to anyone who’s been reading your stuff how well you’ve improved.

You also have this week’s best tagline.

SECOND: Spyro: Year of the Dragon [PSX] Overdrive

Unlike Cpt, Overdrive still has no real idea how to work screenshots. It’s probably because he’s still using a Mac, like some kind of beatnik infant. Get a job, you hippy!

Though the first half of the review does a decent job in trying to revive the illustrious Golden Joe™ award by trying to ensure Spyro is mentioned once every two or three lines, I’m actually quite a fan of this review. Aside from an hour or so spent with the original, I’ve not invested any time at all into this series, so it would have been easy for this review to lose me in it comparison with early titles, but it remains very relatable. Even though you’re saying that X has evolved from previous game, or that Y was taken from another series I haven’t played, the examples provided keep me informed.

Probably the only complaint I can make isn’t really your fault, but it’s sometimes jarringly obvious where the copy edit machine has rolled in and changes some things around. It’s not a shot against either your or Jason, but you’re both such dramatically different writers (one of you is a rambler; the other often favouring conciseness) it’s sometimes hard to gel the two together. I try to offer solutions when I’m criticizing, but, honestly, I gots nothing in this case.

That said, In other words: third verse, same as the second. is an uncharacteristically clever turn of phrase.

WIN: Phantasy Star II [GEN] Joe

It’s probably not unfair to suggest that, in some ways, you can game the RotW system. We’re good peoples, us judging folk, but we’re still just people and have yet to fall victim to the great Skynet revolution, to be replaced by soulless automatons. It means that you can produce a great review, but it may me a genre that will not gel with the judge in question, and you’ll lose ground (OR! It might mean you can purposefully troll a judge by making them read an endless stream of Telltale game reviews you always hold back for their particular slot, knowing that they hate that genre!). Phantasy Star II is probably my favourite JRPG; I replay it every few years, and I point blank love talking about it to anyone who’ll listen. So it might be fair to say that Joe had a leg up in this week’s rotation, and, if it’ll spare bruised egos, then I won’t blame you for thinking so. But. This is a very good review.

So, I reviewed this in (Yikes…) 2005 and my thesis was “You’ve either already beaten this game or you’ve been so spoilt by modern game conveniences, that you never will”. Joe’s thesis is “I was initially turned away but the old-school difficulty, but was rewarded by preserving.” I think the review is set up exceeding well to make that point, walking through the failed playthroughs and the parts of the game that have either aged awkwardly or have never really worked at all, talking in negatives to initially begrudging positives and ending in the best conclusion of the week, tying back to the intro.

I like this review. And, yeah, I like it because it talks about that thing I want to talk about as often as I can, but it’s so well set out that I would still like the review as much if it was for Awesome Possum. One of the better reviews of the year so far.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: May 13, 2019 (12:48 PM)

Wow, gotta be some kind of record, Emp. Good job getting this topic out so quickly and with serious feedback, to boot.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 13, 2019 (10:13 PM)

I thought about reviewing something this week, but realized I had (temporarily) exhausted my supply of food metaphors. Fortunately, I got in a fresh shipment and some small part of me is optimistic I'll be able to use them in another four weeks or so, give or take a few years.

But anyway... congrats to those who managed to make an appearance, and thanks to EmP for a timely topic!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 14, 2019 (01:50 PM)

Finally, my theory that all those Telltale reviews were done SOLELY to troll me during my judging weeks has been validated!!!!

Even with what you said about "gaming the system", I figured I'd have a big uphill climb to beat out Joe's review. Really good one that did a great job of illustrating the struggle that Phantasy Star 2 is and how it can be tough, especially in this era of far more accessible games, to make progress in it. I think with all of us, we have reviews that, in essence, feel like they were written to write something and other reviews that just have that "it factor" and this is one of those that has that.

As for mine, thanks for the comments. I liked the use of "uncharacteristically clever" or whatever to describe "third verse, same as the second". Mainly because that wasn't what I was originally going to say, making "uncharacteristically" legitimately true. I'd started with "third verse, same as the first two" and then decided that would be inaccurate, as there are notable changes between the first and second Spyro games as far as how they run and this game is basically like the second one, but with additional characters.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 17, 2019 (01:54 AM)

Thank you for the win and getting this topic out so quickly. Sorry I'm a slacker when it comes to commenting. It was as good a week as any to be a slacker.

Congrats to CRB and OD for placing, too.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: May 18, 2019 (10:58 PM)

Congrats to everyone!

...yeah. That's all I have to say. Imma sleep now...

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.