Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week April 29 - May 5. Waah!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 09, 2019 (02:33 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't have any snazzy words to lead you into the ROTW. Waaah! I haven't done anything interesting lately, other than deep clean my house. The highlights of that involved fifteen trash bags and a blanket that this house's previous owners left behind, which I ended up washing and donating. Yeah, I'm that exciting.

CRB's take on Final Fight CD is quick and efficient. It tells you all you need to know about the port, and how well it covers its bases. There are a handful of differences in this version that players should be aware of, like graphical glitches. It doesn't go too in-depth into mechanics or how well they work, but sacrifices the gory details to deliver a trim review that's aimed more at players who are already initiated.

CRB reviewed EXO-Squad on Genesis/Megadrive. This one is a little better than the Final Fight CD piece. It's quick and efficient, as before, but also details mechanics and gameplay modes quite well. It uses some great examples for its flaws, while also letting you know that parts of it aren't so bad. The review could use a little tightening, but it's an otherwise solid piece.

THIRD PLACE
EmP gave us When Ski Lifts Go Wrong and did a marvelous job describing the game. I have to admit, I'm kind of sold on it. Kind of... I don't really have much to say about this review. It's solidly built and flows terrifically. Maybe it doesn't stand out of the bunch, even though it does have a few good, funny parts, but it accomplishes its mission timely and precisely.

SECOND PLACE
If you ever needed to feel like you rented Air Fortress, Pickhut has you covered (I rented Air Fortress, so I can attest to his level of knowledge with this game). I like how you make this game sound reasonable, if boring, but then illustrate how it only gets worse as you advance. The examples you use are spot on, too. The best parts are the humorous ones, though. Space banana indeed!

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Hasty's take on Quarantine Circular is one of my favorites from him. It's difficult to write about a plot-heavy game without dishing too much info. You end up writing a vague piece that people have a hard time following or understanding. Here, though, I completely followed what you said and identified with it. I've experienced much of what you discuss in this review before, in other titles. It's an impressive feat to pull off, and you manage it.

---

Tune in next month, when I might actually have something more to say and I'm not quite so exhausted. Well, okay, the last part's a lie. I'm always exhausted.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 09, 2019 (01:39 PM)

Thanks for the topic, Joe, and congratulations to all who participated. Congratulations especially to hasty for pulling through with a win for probably his best review to date. Hard work and dedication still lead to rewards!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: May 09, 2019 (09:09 PM)

Thank you very much! Congratulations to everyone, as always. My reviews of narrative driven games do seem to be my best, and the feedback I receive here clearly makes a difference.

So I'll keep on keepin' on. Thank you, Jason. I've come a long way from a clod who barely had any idea what he was doing.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 10, 2019 (06:16 AM)

Props to Hasty for scoring that big win; there was some good stuff on display to overcome.

Thanks for the mention.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: May 10, 2019 (04:23 PM)

Thanks for the second placement! I didn't realize you were doing this RotW until you posted in the hub* topic, so I was definitely curious to read your comments since you also did a review of Air Fortress a few years back. Glad you liked it, especially the humor parts. They're always tricky in reviews, since you can either divert attention away from main topics or irritate the reader if they come off too forced.

Congrats, hasty!

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.