Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Golden Axe: Beast Rider review

This thread is in response to a review for Golden Axe: Beast Rider on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: October 29, 2008 (09:51 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Nice review, Zig.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: October 30, 2008 (01:38 AM)

If my moratorium on Xboxes ever ends, and with Golden Axe being my favourite coin op, I would make a beeline for this.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 30, 2008 (11:05 AM)

Seems to be a pretty cool throwback to the old-school sort of game. Not constantly powering up your character, but having to master how to control it to get past tougher and tougher challenges. Seems intriguing.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: BladedEarth
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:58 PM)

When I rented this, I never suspected what could happen to the enemies could happen to Tyris (just due to many previous games where even a gargantuan spinning blade wouldn't rip your character in half).

This one line : "Tyris doesn't die with dignity — lose all your health and you'll see Tyris get decapitated, cleaved in twain, or ground into a bloody pile of flesh.", I wish I had found it before I played the game. Seeing what happened to Tyris leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

I was disgusted by Tyris's mutilation so badly that now I pose a question on any game I'm about to buy, "Can your character get decapitated/split in half/turned into a bloody mess of guts, boobs, and butts?

I liked the game okay before then though.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 05, 2009 (08:15 PM)

That's an interesting comment! I never really thought about something like that with games, just movies. I remember seeing "Event Horizon" and I was pretty turned off by the excessive gore (rooms full of blood, just because?), even though it fit what the movie was trying to accomplish. Yet with games, I played something like the Super Nintendo port of Prince of Persia and it had the character sliced in half by guillotines or skewered by spikes and it was just kind of cool, even though it was pretty grisly. I wonder how many gamers actually look at something like what happens in Golden Axe: Beast Rider as a turn-off. Certainly, the games industry is quite happy to include excessive violence, but that doesn't mean every gamer loves it or even plays violent games for that aspect.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: April 05, 2009 (08:36 PM)

That kind of violence against women has been pretty rare in games -- aside from perhaps a Mortal Kombat character or two, it's usually the men who get sliced to bits (and gory male death has typically been considered a good thing by the gaming public). Golden Axe is notable for also having dismembered, nude female bodies. It's pretty grisly.

//Zig

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: April 05, 2009 (08:56 PM)

In terms of 'will this turn people off', the gaming world is still pretty skewed to people who play a lot of games and see a lot of this kind of thing. So at this point in time, I don't think it's going to hurt a game like this version of Golden Axe.

I watch lots of horror and so in a sense like gore, but obviously that doesn't mean I want it everywhere. I find its inclusion in a lot of non-horror games is still kind of dumb or gratuitous. In Golden Axe, well, if Tyris Flare chops down 100s of bad guys with her sword in a world of medieval violence, this to me sounds like a context that would suit me, if she is paid in kind. Of course it will have an effect, as Zigfried said we simply aren't as used to seeing this on women in games as we are on men.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 06, 2009 (05:24 PM)

The game even goes so far as to hint that it will take a man to truly set things right in this world. I don't know if Sega is thumbing their nose at "hot female heroine" games like Heavenly Sword, or if Sega really just hates women.

Or maybe it's to give you, the player, an opportunity to prove these naysayers wrong? I haven't actually played a single Golden Axe game, including this one, so I could be off there.

Anyway, my favorite thing about this review is how you explain why it works as a straight up adventure game and why the RPG elements aren't really necessary. I think too many gamers get too fixated on genres instead of how good the game actually is.

Good job. Really like the angle you take here.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: April 06, 2009 (06:42 PM)

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll try not to spoil things too much, but the final message of the game is that Tyris totally bungled things and the male -- that would be Ax=Battler -- is the one who's going to fix everything (presumably in the sequel).

Even though that's still a vague statement, I didn't want to even get that explicit in the review for spoiler reasons, but since we're in a thread, that's a different story.

//Zig

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 06, 2009 (08:08 PM)

So basically you go through what sounds like a difficult and grueling game only to find out it was all for nothing?

I really hate when games do that.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.