Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Skyblazer review

This thread is in response to a review for Skyblazer on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 09, 2019 (05:23 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Nice review of a game I don't remember as well as I thought I did. I do have fond memories of it, but they're pretty fuzzy.

Some typos:

This is one of the countless games that felt its final stage NEEDED one of those accursed boss rushes to act as a roadblock being you and the dynamic duo of Ashura and Raglan.

BEING = BETWEEN

And this:

Even if I didn't like a particular stage, the rest of the campaign was at least look good enough for me to want to play through it and see what was around the next corner.

Anyway, it's an even-handed look at a near-classic that you've come across too late to hold in that kind of esteem. You've made me want to replay it!

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 10, 2019 (12:00 PM)

Thanks for those catches, Marc, as I won this week's Golden EmP award for prolific typos! The first one seemed to have gotten past both myself and proofreader Jason. The second seemed to be a case of me missing him trying to make something read more smoothly, slightly changing what I was trying to say and, apparently, not taking out all of my words before putting his in. Which makes sense (for me to miss it), as I didn't get around to writing this review until probably a month after finishing the game, so it was a chore to write and by the time I finished it and Jason got it back to me, I had no interest in reading it word-for-word after how grueling it was to simply write those words in the first place.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: April 10, 2019 (08:35 PM)

Grueling perhaps, but you did a good job of getting across what you enjoyed about it. I've taken several swings at this one, but keep dropping out in that stage where you have to jump on a succession of floating platforms that ferry you around spike laden walls. It's that inconsistent level design that gets me, in the end.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 12, 2019 (11:25 AM)

Oh yeah, there are a few areas that were definite teeth-gnashers. I think my least favorite was during a tower level fairly early in the game where you have to jump across a series of platforms that would recede into the tower. The timing you needed...phew! But it's hard to get too enraged at a game that gives that kind of variety. I mean, when you think about it, how often do you get games that have different challenges every level. Battletoads did it, although that game was even more murderously difficult to advance through to actually see those challenges, but most games have a certain amount of variety and then recycle those items in tougher variations later in the game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.