Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's VERTI-GO HOME! review

This thread is in response to a review for VERTI-GO HOME! on the PlayStation 4. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 28, 2019 (04:23 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

VR isn't exactly impressing me as having much substance so far... and I suppose that's difficult to achieve for many reasons. Visual flare only carries a game so far if its underlying mechanics and content don't have the substance or consistency...

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 28, 2019 (05:10 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

That's pretty much my "goal" when I decided to get into VR gaming, to see if there's games out there with some genuine substance. From my experience so far, outside of the technical challenges of making a game in VR, I think a lot of it has more to do with the developer's creativity and how far they're willing to take it.

For example, my first VR review was basically for a compilation title, so the devs didn't really delve that deep into a particular concept. My next review was for Pixel Ripped, which has a really intriguing gimmick of "dual" gameplay, but it was squandered because the ideas weren't fleshed enough in its very, VERY brief four stages. The following review was for Statik, and of the four VR games I've reviewed so far, had the most substance to it with its thought-provoking puzzles; unfortunately, it was also another brief title... And as for VERTI-GO HOME, its biggest flaw was that the dev was just content with making a simple endless runner with odd visuals. Not really a stretch of the imagination, gameplay-wise.

I've yet to invest time in some of the more "highly-recommended" VR titles, either because I haven't bought them yet or they're costly purchases, go figure. Hopefully I'll run into a VR game that will impress me in both visuals (in a VR kinda way, if that makes sense) and gameplay.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.