Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Yakuza Kiwami review

This thread is in response to a review for Yakuza Kiwami on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 26, 2019 (08:55 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I guess that's the dichotomy with these sorts of games; side quests for days, but a strange sort of stasis exists while everyone waits for you to progress the main story. It's normal, but doesn't feel that way. It's always felt out of sync to me having events actually run out of sync, and I'll admit it breaks the immersion somewhat.

That said I don't mind as long as the story and game are good enough...

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 27, 2019 (07:45 AM)

Good job, Gary -- another great Yakuza review that captures the craziness of it all.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 27, 2019 (10:08 AM)

Thanks, both, for reading.

Hasty: In most games, the side quests are bonus missions you can use to distract yourself while you plod through the main storyline. I guess I've come to think that, with Yakuza, the main plotline is something that holds the game together while you undertake all the goofy side quests.

Mark: The puppy thing was a bit throw-away, so I nuked it. It probably only amused me, because I've been ripping on Shenmue;s "let's stop avenging my family and play with a kitten" thing for decades!

The DRAGON thing I think I was going to expand upon and then never got around to. Basically, you have four fighting styles; you upgrade three by investing in experience points, but the DRAGON style is only upgraded by winning Majima fights (and some arena battles).

By just I meant like "his actions are just", but, yeah, it reads more like there's a missing word. Edits.

I appreciate the thoughts and taking the time to read. So much so, I pledge not not make fun of you for the rest of the week.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 27, 2019 (06:01 PM)

Gary: I totally get that - and it's an essential part of how those games work, but I still have that feeling of dissonance. In some ways it accurately mirrors life in that our main quests, whatever they may be, get sidetracked by sub-quests along the way. I'm still waiting for this Epic Flu sidequest to run its course so I get back to my Living Life Main Quest...

Maybe it's a little difficult to explain?

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: Ogreatgames
Posted: March 28, 2019 (01:19 AM)

_

Thanks for the extremely thorough, thought-out entertaining review.

Kiwami is a nice Yakuza game.

I think its awesomeness is second to Zero.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of this game.

I'm gonna miss Kazuma Kiryu.

Sega's been planning another Yakuza game with a new main character named Kazuga Ichiban.

Visit https://ogreatgames.com for awesome video games!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.