Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Dust: An Elysian Tail review

This thread is in response to a review for Dust: An Elysian Tail on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 17, 2019 (09:50 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

A sequel could be awesome or a curse. Dust is one of those beautiful games you can pick up every once and a while like a good book that you can enjoy comfortably with a hot chocolate - or whatever.

On an interesting note, there's a new difficulty mode that will absolutely kick your rear and I'm sure it was an answer to those who complained the game was too easy even on its hardest setting. I'd call the new mode "impossible". It's super tough.

I'm really glad you enjoy this one ... it's a rare game that a pure joy through and through. A high point for me was the voice acting; the recording quality varies somewhat, but the performances are excellent, particularly the main cast.

And seriously, who doesn't love Fidget?

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 18, 2019 (08:33 AM)

Joe: you accidentally clicked on the 'welcome feedback' option.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Ogreatgames
Posted: March 18, 2019 (03:30 PM)

What makes me give Dust: An Elysian Tail a super huge thumbs up is the one man developer behind it.

Except for the voice acting and music, Humble Hearts "Noogy" Dean Dodrill solo created the highly praised platform hack n' slasher indie.

He did the gameplay, visuals, and sound effects all by himself.

It took him 4 years to get this game to its polished state.

And a lot of its players can't just get enough of it.

By the way, Humble Games also developed another game called Never Stop Sneakin.

Visit https://ogreatgames.com for awesome video games!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 18, 2019 (11:58 PM)

Hasty:
They don't necessarily have to do a sequel. They could do a separate storyline set in the same universe (a la Steamworld or Stories/Omensight). I think that would work better, and it would allow them to flesh out the world a little more and explore fresh concepts.

I have not tried the new difficulty setting yet, and probably won't any time soon. I rarely opt for a higher difficulty when I revisit games, and only take on the harder modes if I'm madly in love with the game (of which very few titles actually meet that criteria).

The voice acting was great. It's rare that you find an indie game with even passable acting, so that really helped.

Marc:
I'm actually welcoming feedback this time. I usually don't check that box for various reasons, but since I didn't submit this one through Production Room, I figured I should.

Ogreat:
I've been curious about Never Stop Sneakin', despite the mixed response it received.

Thank you all for reading!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 19, 2019 (06:26 AM)

I'm actually welcoming feedback this time. I usually don't check that box for various reasons

Emphasis mine. That sounds... mysterious!

Anyway, you did a good job bigging up a game that seems as if it's been pretty consistently bigged up. I was hoping you wouldn't like it, so I wouldn't be the only one! I can't put my finger on why the game doesn't work for me, and I also can't argue with anything you've said.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.