Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week: March 4 - 10

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 11, 2019 (01:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I have it kinda easy this week. I only have four reviews to judge, three of which are from Venter (two of those are holdovers). At the same time, I don't have it easy this week because all of the reviews offered are frickin' great, and it's hard to pick a winner.

---

I'll start off with Awesome Pea by Honestgamer. This was an excellent review that captured precisely what a subpar side-scrolling platformer feels like. There's a lot of funny, clever wording (the "which is fatal" bit, for instance), and it's just a fun review to read. Two minor, minor complaints: one part uses the word [frog's], but I think the apostrophe should be after the "s" [frogs']. Lastly, there's one instance where you say "Amazing Pea" instead of "Awesome Pea."

The History 2048 review is great because its quick and to the point, which any good puzzle game review should be. It gives all of the necessary information in a fast manner, and cuts to the heart of the game's issues.

Mariner's Ys VIII review is fantastic because its written such that it informs interested parties to go for it, while warning those who aren't into RPGs. That's a tough kind of review to nail, but this one accomplishes that end (Overdrive's Skyrim review is another good example, which prompted me to buy the game and told Zipp [IIRC] to stay away).

Back to Jason, and his Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force review, which left me feeling like I had just rented the game. It spills a wealth of information without missing a beat, and even goes farther than that. It judges the game based also on the merit of New Game+, which is something that gets ignored quite frenquently. It also reminds the reader that this isn't a sequel, but yet another re-release of FFF. Honestly, I thought this was a sequel or something to that effect, so it's good to know this title's lineage. Again, this one also tells a cautious reader that this isn't their bag, while giving excited parties the go-ahead.

---

I had a tough time picking a winner, but it came down to Ys VIII or Fairy Fencer. Ultimately, I think Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force takes home the win.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 11, 2019 (02:45 PM)

Huh, and I could have sworn I had this holdover from my week that Jason forgot about his week that I'd mentioned both when I did my last RotW and reaffirmed in Jason's when he forgot it.

Maybe I died recently or something and only exist as a ghost who is thinking he's doing stuff, but it only exists in his world so he doesn't know he's dead and not actually interacting with the site. Might have to put that theory to the test by robbing the liquor store. No, a gas station; they all know/knew me on a first-name basis at the liquor store, so that'd be a jerk thing to do to them. That's it: rob a gas station to see if I do actually still exist and then make my next move from there.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 11, 2019 (05:00 PM)

I wasn't sure if we were still honoring that or if it was a one time thing. I think we should, honestly. Sorry.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.