Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Awesome Pea review

This thread is in response to a review for Awesome Pea on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Ogreatgames
Posted: March 08, 2019 (03:21 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great job on your review!

The graphical overlay effects of Awesome Pea really caught me.

Plus, "retro-styled" platformers have always had a place in my heart.

I think Pigeon Dev Games meant this game for people who appreciate tiny gameplay sessions.

Yeah, I agree.

It appears to be looking like an old Game Boy platformer.

Anyway, anyone looking for classic GB platformers, Megaman Extreme 1&2 and Megaman V make excellent options.

Visit https://ogreatgames.com for awesome video games!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 08, 2019 (11:38 AM)

I have the Megaman Extreme games in complete, mint condition... because I bought them new. I played them at that time and wasn't super impressed. I keep them around because, after all, they are Mega Man games and I do have a thing for collecting stuff like that. But it really doesn't feel like there's enough room to move around on that tiny screen. Thanks for reading my review of Awesome Pea. I think the graphical overlay is what will catch most people!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 11, 2019 (10:41 AM)

Good review man.

"That's also fatal." Haha, that reminds me of a classic Retro review, for Ghosts 'n Goblins.

One catch -- you might want to look into adjusting this sentence:

"Sometimes, the architecture gets peculiar at other times, too."

Otherwise, nice work.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: March 11, 2019 (02:03 PM)

Yes, I should look into adjusting that. And the stuff Joe mentioned in his RotW topic also. It was a fairly hasty review, but I'm glad it did the job and people enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 15, 2019 (08:50 AM)

Hasty huh? Isn't that my dept? Anyway, excellent review - it was a breezy read, and it made me get a little Goldblumie: "They didn't think if they should." How do you justify a game about a sentient pea, or a dimensionally displaced plumber, for that matter? Can't be the one who says "no", the game has to be given a chance at least.

Then you can say "What the ____ were you thinking?"

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Posted: January 01, 2020 (02:06 PM)

Hey, I re-read this review because I just played the game. Great summary to close out your review. Incidentally, did you ever beat the game? It can be tough in spots, randomly, but then, you get unlimited chances...

board icon
Posted: January 01, 2020 (02:25 PM)

Yeah, I did beat the game before I reviewed it. Didn't take me long to play through the whole thing. Most of the tough spots were closer to the beginning than the end, so I blew through the last third or so of the game without any difficulty at all.

board icon
Posted: January 06, 2020 (07:25 AM)

You're right -- the difficulty curve was all over the place. The levels where you descended the screen from platform-to-platform were annoying trial and error exercises, but mostly easy. The traincar levels were super easy. The castle levels had some bite to them though. Anyway, good review.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.