Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's The Battle of Olympus review

This thread is in response to a review for The Battle of Olympus on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 21, 2019 (11:30 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review of a game I'm interested in trying for the first time at long last. I love this: I could easily title this review "An Ode to My Diminished Gaming Skill" after playing through this game for the first time in a couple decades.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 21, 2019 (12:23 PM)

I loved this game while growing up. But man, I was shocked at how tough it was when I was replaying it! I think I finally folded and started writing around when I got to Crete and it was a bear to even get that far. And we were just talking last week about how modern games have actually helped to get us to overcome those age-related diminishing skills! And then I get confronted by one instance where the struggle was very, very real with this review, lol.

It is a fun game worth playing, though. Especially via emulation where you don't have to deal with those passwords. This game and the even longer passworded Guardian Legend were the bane of my existence. I loved playing them so much, but I hated their immense passwords and always seemed to have one instance per playthrough where I'd have to re-do some stuff because I botched something up writing a password down and couldn't figure out what it was after getting the "nope, invalid shit there bruh" message.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 22, 2019 (07:10 AM)

With passwords no longer holding it back, and save states to help crappy gamers, I may dip my toes in the NES quest pool. Wasn't Guardian Legend a Compile game (of Aleste/Power Strike and Blazing Lazers fame)?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 22, 2019 (07:57 AM)

Yes it was. And it shows with the shooter stages. A lot of fast-paced action where your main ally is the fact you have a life bar.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.