Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's BioShock review

This thread is in response to a review for BioShock on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: October 28, 2008 (02:10 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I recently wrote yet another piece on BioShock for Art Fist magazine. Each time I return to it, largely for journalistic reasons these days, I'm equally stunned. It's simply magical.

I'm glad to see a review focus so heavily on Rapture itself, because it's clearly the starring character in this wonderful videogame. I worry if you may have undersold it, though - you tell the story and describe the experience nicely, but on paper it sounds kind of lacking, which is the last thing BioShock was. Practially the only discussion of the game's quality comes in the final paragraph.

Maybe it should be common knowledge how essential this masterpiece is by now, though.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 28, 2008 (02:26 PM)

I definitely took some risks with the review, and purposefully avoided direct discussion of the game's overall quality because to me that cheapens what BioShock was for me. Instead, I tried to describe the intricacies that make Rapture so interesting--and absolutely worth visiting. My hope is that it will lead the reader to say "Hmm, I should check it out." So yeah, I'm aware that the review is likely to be hit-or-miss but sometimes I like to take risks with my reviews rather than fall into an all-too-familiar pattern. I really couldn't think of a better time to do that than the present.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 28, 2008 (02:49 PM)

BioShock, you say?

I do believe I own this game. Hmmm...

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: October 28, 2008 (06:31 PM)

This game is getting way too much praise around here.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: October 29, 2008 (01:23 AM)

Gary: Don't you darestart.

Sportsman: *sigh*

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: October 29, 2008 (01:00 PM)

This game is getting a lot of praise EVERYWHERE.

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Posted: October 29, 2008 (02:16 PM)

And DamnHellYeah it should.

I am really, really hoping that Friday will bring a time when I have a new pet game to ramble on about. Until then, BioShock is the essential current-gen videogame, for me.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.