Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > CptRetroBlue's Contra 4 review

This thread is in response to a review for Contra 4 on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 15, 2019 (07:05 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Cool review. I always wanted to play this one. How would you rank it in terms of difficulty alongside the others (assuming you've played them all)?

Be careful with the typos, as I did spot a few -- I can't remember them all but this one stood out: saying "rump" when you meant "romp."

Hmm, I wonder if it's worth it for me to get a used DS for super cheap to play games like this and the Castlevania games.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: CptRetroBlue
Posted: February 15, 2019 (07:45 AM)

Thanks for the typo spottings, even when using spell checking software it seems I have to work kinks out on my reviews. Well, Contra 4 is *fairly* difficult especially when you have to memorize enemy spots and their firing range as you rush towards the stages. I'd say its moderate compared to the likes of Contra III on SNES which to me seemed far more difficult, but easier than Hard Corps for Sega Genesis, and I am sure you heard how difficult that title is overall. What threw me off mostly is the double screen which does not align properly when it comes on stages and enemy fire, and the fact you use more buttons than shooting and jumping such as forgetting there is a grappling hook setting. Otherwise, its as difficult as the amount of time you are willing to put into it really.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2019 (07:50 AM)

Yeah, I need to re-read my reviews a few times before submitting them to catch everything.

I haven't played much of Hard Corps, and I really need to. Some say it's the best in the series. I still love the original Contra, which people don't think of as being as hard as it really is, because of the 30-man code, and because it's so old and well known so the strategies are second nature.

I seem to recall Contra III's overhead levels being dumb, but the rest of the game being fantastic.

Just the other day I was playing this clone:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/341550/Super_Cyborg/

I dunno how that guy didn't have Konami coming after him for that. Anyway, it plays exactly the same, but looks uglier, has forgettable music, and its levels are too long and unforgiving. But that Contra feel is definitely there.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2019 (08:17 AM)

Wow, Super Cyborg looks nice, think I will give it a try sometime, appreciate the link. And sure, I will be more careful on submitting reviews as I get a bit excited when I finish anything and just push it out of my way without much thought at times ha ha.

I will agree on Contra III, unlike Super C its top down levels seem cumbersome at best. To me the easiest on the series was Super C itself as it was the game I bought when I owned an NES back in the day. To this day I still manage to get pretty far without having to resort to the classic Konami Code and without using a continue. I played it that much lol

I guess older titles seem "easier" for the fact that nostalgia plays a big part and you simply don't bother on how difficult they actually are after going through them for a while, but that's my two cents.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2019 (09:44 AM)

Yes, agreed. I'm pretty sure I got to a point where I was beating Contra without continuing (or the code). Not quite doing it on one man though. That's after years and years of repetition. Super C I didn't play that much -- nobody had it on their NES in my area at the time. I went back and emulated it and maybe beat it once. I think I'll do a Contra revisiting this weekend!

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2019 (10:54 AM)

Go for it.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2019 (02:16 PM)

This is a list I mostly agree with:

https://chiscroller.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/all-13-contra-games-ranked-from-worst-to-best/

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.