Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > mariner's Shantae and the Pirate's Curse review

This thread is in response to a review for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: CptRetroBlue
Posted: February 06, 2019 (03:37 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I've never tried any of her games although her image has been tossed here and there whenever I visited gaming sites. I might check the GB game at least.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: February 06, 2019 (07:21 PM)

I happen to have played all three - I got the most recent not long after launch, and I'd agree that Pirate's Curse is the most free flowing of the lot. WayForward has turned out some quality product, but like most companies their consistency varies.

What you didn't mention, and one of the reasons I haven't reviewed these games is because the series doesn't reserve its innuendo, either, which I found troublesome for an "E for Everyone" game. Two girls bathing in giant salamander drool? Yeah, that's... classy...

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 07, 2019 (11:17 AM)

I don't think mariner ever checks his (her?) feedback topics. That said, I really liked this review -- especially the first half of it.

Retro: You'd do better to try the latest game, Half-Genie Hero, or this one, Pirate's Curse.

Hasty: Yeah, I always found that odd about this series. The games aren't difficult, and they're bright and colourful and silly -- perfect for kids right? And yet, there's this very obvious fan service thing going on. Who's the target audience? Is the idea that pervy dads can play with their kids and everyone is happy on some level? That just might be it, because the fan service isn't overt or offensive enough for kids to necessarily notice while they're happily platforming away... but it's just sexy enough for the horndogs.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: mariner
Posted: February 08, 2019 (04:59 AM)

Heh, I didn't mention it because I didn't really care about it. Honestly, the whole thing is probably just as tongue-in-cheek as everything else about the plots of these games. I mean, they even lampshade it in this game. At one point, Shantae is talking to a He-Man parody, and says she's not a good role model because of the way she dresses. While talking to a He-Man parody. In a Speedo. I'm pretty sure the hypocrisy there was intentional.

Really, I assume Shantae was designed in a generic genie (Jeannie) outfit, Risky had a similar outfit because she's the evil counterpart, and they just kind of went with it from there. I don't think ANYTHING in these games should be taken seriously, fanservice included. So yeah, the fanservice is obvious, but I think it's in there more to add to the silliness (one of the girls is a rotting zombie!) than anything pervy. Or at least that's how I took it. In that sense it is designed for everyone: colorful enough for kids, but constant winking at the audience for the adults.

(And yeah, I do occasionally check back here. I just usually don't have the time and inclination to comment...)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: February 08, 2019 (04:29 PM)

Glad to hear back from you, mariner. There's lampshading and then there's lampshading... the silly-sexiness is more... insistent and over the top (or rather less the top) than in Switch Force, but we're also witnessing the maturation of an artist - who if I'm not mistaken is French. Their attitude towards these hijinx is easily more relaxed than our own... and I'd say that's a dicey subject for parents all round.

These series have the set-it-down-with-the-kid(s)-and-forget-it babysitter vibe, and Mario at least on its surface doesn't challenge in this way. I got a chuckle out of the He-Man joke... having grown up with He-Man and She-Ra, it was a double standard we didn't know was happening. No one cared - we was just another muscle-y hero.

Simply put, there's a risk to objectifying anyone, even if its for a laugh. Something for players to be aware of... if they aren't already drooling. The rule is better aware than not, so I'd not turn a blind eye to industry goings on, as it is said.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.