Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons review

This thread is in response to a review for Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: January 19, 2019 (01:20 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Wayforward is one of those development houses lousy with talent: We're talking Jake Kaufmann at the audio helm, and then the super cute artist ic stylings that put Shantae on the map... their inventory of published titles is remarkable. Disney entrusted them with Duck Tales Remastered, and it is a worthy, if imperfect, remake of a classic.

Capcom's treatment of their legacy IPs is totally mystifying. I remember seeing some YouTube footage of this game, and I was disgusted. How does a house brand property get such poor treatment? From what I gathered in Jason's review of Double Dragon 4, this game would get laughed out of the boxing ring with its overbearing, amateur performance.

Good review, pickhut. :)

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: January 19, 2019 (05:30 PM)

Personally, WayForward has been kinda hit and miss with me from the titles I've tried. Alien Infestation felt disappointing, Contra 4 was very awkward to play, but Neon was definitely unique. Been meaning to review their Shantae titles, but I haven't gotten around to them yet; I own all the games, ready to be played.

Also, Double Dragon isn't owned by Capcom, if that's what you meant. If not, I'm confused.

Regardless, thanks for reading and liking the review!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: January 19, 2019 (07:08 PM)

Oh crap, you're right - it's Konami. My statement still stands... and I've played a fair share of the Shantae games... they're er, cute, even if their target demographic seems ... confused.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 20, 2019 (10:33 AM)

Double Dragon games have come from all sorts of publishers over the years, but I'm unaware of any ever coming from Capcom. Or from Konami. Neither of those companies ever has owned the IP. Technos Japan developed the original titles (with a very small crew) and generally partnered with companies like Tradewest and Acclaim to publish them in the US, but ownership of the IP was taken over by Million when Technos finally went bankrupt. Ownership of all Technos Japan properties seems to have passed from Million to Arc System Works around 4 years ago, where it resides today. Hamster works with a lot of Japanese publishers to bring their legacy arcade content to home consoles, so sometimes it can be difficult to keep track of who owns what unless you're really into such things...

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: CptRetroBlue
Posted: January 27, 2019 (08:14 PM)

I've heard bad things about this game and after seeing footage on the likes of youtube I simply facepalmed at how they got everything wrong about being a Double Dragon game, much less one that was supposed to be an "update" to the greatest beat'em up sequel of all. The footage alone is enough to make me Hulk out and go on a rampage truly.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.