Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Gothic 3 review

This thread is in response to a review for Gothic 3 on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 08, 2019 (10:04 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You see, a Gothicor Risen game -- fix your space error, heathen!

You're right about the Piranha RPG's though. I got a buggy pre-release copy of Gothic 3 waaaaaay back in the day and managed to just about beat it before release (had the first English word review of the game up. Was beaten mercilessly by Germans), but I put on some really long shifts on that one. It wasn;t super stable, either, so I would crash and lose hours and just dive back in and do stuff a slightly different way. Same with Risen. I stopped at the first because it was so draining.

Gothic 4 never looked as appealing. I guess I'll wait a few months and see what you have to say about that one! Gotta beat 'em all. unless you're me!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 10, 2019 (03:37 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Geez. I didn't realize you wrote the first English language review. I'm sure it was hell getting through the initial build of this game. I remember you talking about the boars. They're not so difficult to mess with now, but the lurkers can be a pain in the ass when you're at a low level.

With Risen, you're not missing much with the second one. It's probably PB's most disappointing game, mostly because it's incredibly simple. The plot is still kinda fun. Risen 3 is good, but pretty flawed and a little buggy.

I'm a little over 100 minutes into Gothic 4, and it's probably the blandest RPG I've ever played in a while. I've been through just about every early game trope so far, from heavy-handed tutorial missions to delivering items to a witch in the middle of the woods.

The best part is that they make the woods sound perilous and immense, like getting to the witch's hut is going to be a lengthy journey. In almost any other Gothic game, it would have been, and you can guarantee that you'll run across at least one shadowbeast. In Gothic 4, these deep, dangerous woods contain a whole five weak wolves, and it takes less than a minute to reach the witch's hut. You practically have to go out of your way to aggro the wolves, too. Such a stark difference between this and the previous three titles...

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.