Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Kathy Rain review

This thread is in response to a review for Kathy Rain on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 02, 2019 (09:35 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

"Or, at least, it never ventures beyond that special Adventure Game Logic™ that insists all of the world’s complications can be solved with obscure lateral thinking and whatever junk we can cram into the infinite spaces that are our pockets."

Love that line.

I don't like 'whom' nazis, but I think this line:

"At the onset, Kathy returns to the town where she grew up, in order to attend the funeral of her grandfather and reconnect with her grandmother, who she hasn’t spoken to since she left."

Would be better as:

"At the onset, Kathy returns to the town where she grew up, in order to attend the funeral of her grandfather and reconnect with her grandmother, with whom she hasn’t spoken since she left."

Just a mostly useless suggestion.

"That profession gives her reason enough to bulldoze around on her custom Harley and bother people with intensive questioning."

I like that line a lot too.

"To that end, she shuns Internet search engines and has to glean information from phone books."

This one confused me a bit though, as I don't get how her mode of getting info is connected to her being forced to look inward...? I might be missing something -- I'm tired.

"And it’s creeping, that sudden sense of gravity that the game develops as Kathy evolves from annoying snooper to reluctant saviour."

This line starts off a bit confusing to my bleary mind as well: the sense of gravity is creeping (gradual), but also sudden?

Anyway, despite my harping on a few details, I really liked this review and found it pretty helpful as I was planning on playing this game and was kind of on the fence about whether or not it would be a waste of my time.

Turns out no.

Nice job.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 02, 2019 (10:21 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You should pick up this game, play the first half hour, then never ever play it again. You know, like you do with 90% of the games you buy!

Appreciate the thoughts; I've made a series of edits, each more edity than the last! Rain's a good game. There was talk of a second last time I dug around; I hope that becomes a thing.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.