Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > hastypixels's Chrono Cross review

This thread is in response to a review for Chrono Cross on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2018 (02:04 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There was a meme about a bad game mere here once. It's gone now.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: November 24, 2018 (02:12 PM)

Well, that was eloquent.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2018 (02:18 PM)

There's a long running Chrono Cross feud going around these here parts. It's been quiet for a while; most of the party have since vanished mysteriously. This might just be the catalyst for a revival.

Good review for an awful, awful game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: November 24, 2018 (02:25 PM)

Thank you, but it struck me that the image looks like review bashing, not game bashing. I'll be the first to admit CC's lengthy list of flaws - which would have required a longer review, but that's an awfully large image to appear at the bottom of a retrospective essay.

This isn't 4chan - and also - I don't go around bashing games or reviews, and I'm not about to start.

board icon
Author: Fiddlesticks
Posted: November 24, 2018 (02:46 PM)

This review is an honest take on how it makes the author feel. Too bad we don’t share the same experience. I put a few hours into CC years ago and found it melodramatic and aimless. Like the game, this review is a little hard to follow in places. I figure hastypixels is a really smart guy whose brain is constantly exploding with ideas. The fingers can’t keep up with the mind, that sort of thing. I don’t think anyone’s bashing the review. On the other hand, EmP and I both agree that Chrono Cross the game sucks.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: November 24, 2018 (06:44 PM)

Thanks for yanking the image, EmP. I appreciate that.

@Fiddlesticks - exploding with ideas, well yeah, but writing with a headcold doesn't help that very much. A big part of HG's beauty is in the name, and I'm glad for that. HG stands out in that way - how many sites have differing viewpoints on one game?

HG is awesome, and it's a community I'm pleased to be a part of. :)

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 27, 2018 (08:24 AM)

Ah, the Chrono Cross debate, where some think this game is a total classic, EmP thinks it's total trash and I'm the one who is right because I think it's a decent game that could have been great, but was bloated with way too many meaningless characters (instead of focusing on a core cast) that all blend together because you attach mostly the same skills to their boards AND, like a lot of PS RPGs, it does kind of fall apart down the stretch, as the final dungeon is dull with a bunch of "padding" mini-bosses.

But that makes me think: On this site, both now and in our history, is this the game that has the most diverse set of reactions or is there another that outmatches it? It'd have to be either a big name game or a cult classic (so that enough people here have played it to have a definite opinion) obviously. But usually, we as a group at least have a general consensus with maybe 1-2 outliers. With Chrono Cross, we're all over the place from great to good to decent to meh to outright crap.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 28, 2018 (04:28 PM)

But that makes me think: On this site, both now and in our history, is this the game that has the most diverse set of reactions or is there another that outmatches it? It'd have to be either a big name game or a cult classic (so that enough people here have played it to have a definite opinion) obviously. But usually, we as a group at least have a general consensus with maybe 1-2 outliers.

I did a little digging, and from what I was able to find before giving up, pages for Final Fantasy VIII and Metal Gear Solid come pretty close to matching Chrono Cross' divisiveness.

If anyone wants to do their own digging, check out the Site Statistics page; click a console and you'll see a list of what games have reviews and how many.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JedwardRandy
Posted: November 28, 2018 (08:01 PM)

this is intersting write on the game I have not played. how are the 120 endings? I mean, are all of equal calibur or some are the better than others?

I am Jedward Randy

board icon
Posted: November 29, 2018 (10:49 PM)

120 endings were planned in development, and just twelve of those were implemented, due to technical constraints. I'm sure there were narrative limits, too. 120 is enough to keep one busy for longer than it takes to reach those endings, and the idea is ridiculous.

As for Chrono Cross reception: I rather take it that this is one of those The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones situations. I like the example of Neil Young: Either you love 'im or you hate him, but then... I don't really do either, but that's how his relationship with listeners was typified back in his heyday.

Chrono Cross took a risk, and by many accounts failed, but left us with an exceptional soundtrack and some excellent character designs. The rest... is fodder for this sort of debate, which is no doubt good for the site. I'll have to pick more games with audiences this mercurial!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.